Transfer Hdd to new system

Blubottle 10:39 AM 23 Jan 13

I have been given a desktop base unit less it's HDD it is has better spec than mine so can I put my fully loaded Win 7 HDD from my system into it without having to go through re formatting and performing a clean install. Regards

Ian in Northampton 10:51 AM 23 Jan 13

I wouldn't have thought so, because the drivers will be different for your new system. It might work, and you might be able to go back and 'fix' the drivers that are different, but my temptation would be to do a clean install. Note also that (I think) Windows 7 will notice that the hardware configuration has changed, and probably need to be revalidated - although that would probably apply whichever road you go down.

Blubottle 18:06 PM 23 Jan 13

That's what I thought, but thanks anyway

lotvic 18:46 PM 23 Jan 13

a lot of variables to take into consideration (is it worth the hassle, might be easier to install again from scratch..)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…