Transfer hard drive to another computer

admas 00:26 15 Jan 07

My friend's computer seems to have died. I connected the hard drive in my computer as a secondary drive and it works fine. Is there any way I can install it in another base unit without having to reformat and reinstall? It is loaded with XP Professional. I tried booting from the setup CD with the drive as master and tried to run the Recovery Console, hoping I could run Windows setup and install Windows on top of itself, thereby recognising the hardware on the new motherboard, but when I ran the Recovery Console and typed in the administrator password, all I got was c:\windows prompt and didn't know what to do with it.
Would it be possible to connect the drive as a secondary drive in my computer and access its registery to modify the information about the HAL so that it would boot in another base unit?

terryf 00:31 15 Jan 07

It is not just the registry, there are also the drivers to consider, these may be different if the hardware is different

bjantbear 07:42 15 Jan 07

Admas,

I tried to do what you want to do but in the end I habd to install a new hard drive and reinstall windows xp and all the programmes because the old hard drive did not recognise the new computers motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…