Transfer Files/Photos from old PC to New PC

brambles 19:43 17 Oct 04

My friend is having a new PC & I would appreciate some basic ideas for transferring files & photographs.

The problem is he has no CD writing drive only a CD Read Only.

I have several high capacity flash drives but unfortunately he has no USB Ports on his old machine. Are there any adaptors?

Recommendations appreciated ~ abscence of USB port is biggest problem

Brambles

Night Ryder 20:21 17 Oct 04

There is an old piece of software called "Laplink" which came with a special cable for connecting two PC via the Parallel (printer) connectors. This programme can be run in DOS or windows. (Not sure if it would work with Windows XP however). With this you can set one PC as host and the other as a server and share files between the two. Should also mention, this method of transfering files is very slow as the baud rate is somwhere in the order 9600 transfer rate, if memory serves.

Another possibility is, if you have a spare hard drive you could install this to the old PC to the secondary IDE interface, transfer the data you want to it then transfer the hard drive to your new PC (secondary IDE interface) and collect all the files this way.

VoG II 20:24 17 Oct 04

If the new PC will be running Windows XP click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…