Transfer files from old to new computer

mick 47 23:16 08 Oct 04

Dear Colleagues

I am shortly to take delivery of a new computer. Can anyone please advise of a way to trnasfer all the data from my old computer to my new one.

Many thanks

Mick Cowan

hillybilly 23:31 08 Oct 04

There are various ways. Firstly you can buy a piece of software with a usb cable. I've never used it myself but I believe if you want some easy thats one way. I prefer to take the drive from the old machine and install it into the new one as a slave drive and just copy over what I want.

Bapou 23:46 08 Oct 04

If your OS is XP then the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is for this purpose.

From Start > All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

mgmcc 23:53 08 Oct 04

If both PCs have network adapters installed (new one almost certainly will), connect them with a "crossover" ethernet cable and use the network to transfer your files.

Use this in conjunction with the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" that Bapou suggests.

mick 47 00:45 09 Oct 04

Sorry to sound dim - I know the new one definitly has a network card - but how do I find out if the old one has. (Sorry if I have got this procedure the wrong way round)

Mick Cowan

mick 47 00:56 09 Oct 04

Just ran the wizard - I understand it now.Many thanks to you and all colleagues for your help and advice

Mick Cowan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…