Transfer files from old laptop

rosn123 11:53 16 Aug 14

I have a REALLY old laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT running Windows 98SE. I am getting rid of it but there's a few files on it I'd like to take off if I can. It has no USB port or CD writer. It has a floppy disk drive but my other laptop doesn't. Can anyone recommend an easy, and preferably cheap, way to transfer files?

Batch 12:08 16 Aug 14

Buy a 2.5" IDE caddy (with a USB connection). You should be able to pick one up for a few pounds on ebay or amazon (I've just seen one at £3.70 with free P&P on ebay).

Take the hard disk out of the old laptop and put it in the caddy. Connect up to your newer computer (with USB) and away you go.

Batch 12:09 16 Aug 14

BTW, you can then use the old disk for back-up (although I appreciate that it is probably very low capacity and very slow by today's standards).

rosn123 12:15 16 Aug 14

Thanks. Think that will be the way to go. Discovered it did have a USB port hidden behind a cover and tried connecting a memory stick but it needs a driver to be installed. Didn't realise the caddy would be so cheap. Will have a look for one. Thanks for your help..

chub_tor 12:34 16 Aug 14

Just make sure as Batch has pointed out that it is an IDE (PATA) caddy and not one of the newer and more common SATA variety.

rosn123 12:46 16 Aug 14

Thanks, will do.

Batch 16:08 16 Aug 14

You can readily find 98SE USB drivers for download (just make sure you select a reputable source).

Batch 16:40 16 Aug 14

Duh! Just dawned on me that if you don't have Internet access for the old laptop, might be a tad difficult to get the drivers onto the machine!

rosn123 17:13 16 Aug 14

:-) I know. Things have moved on quite a bit since I last used this laptop. Have splashed out on the £3.70 caddy!

rosn123 17:13 16 Aug 14

:-) I know. Things have moved on quite a bit since I last used this laptop. Have splashed out on the £3.70 caddy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…