Transfer of Files

amyjen7 11:56 27 May 07

My wife teaches children with severe learning difficulties and over the years has built up a library of stories suitable to their needs. Her PC is over 15 years and she is worried she may loose them one day so would like to put them on my PC. I run Windows XP Home Edition with Microsoft Works 2003. She runs Windows 98 and the files are on both Lotus Word Pro97 and Microsoft Works 4.0 We both have floppy disks. Can you in simple terms explain how this can be done?

Thank you

Diodorus Siculus 11:58 27 May 07

Save them as plain text files if that is possible (obviously not if they have lots of images) and then Works 2003 will be able to open them.

Diodorus Siculus 12:00 27 May 07

By the way, what pc does she have from 1992 running Win98? Must be beginning to creak somewhat :)

might be worth investing in a flash drive, if shes got that many stories, it will be a pain using floppys

wee eddie 14:43 27 May 07

or a Network Port which looks something like this:

click here

click here(WinCE).jpg

If it has you're in luck

silverous 14:49 27 May 07

"might be worth investing in a flash drive, if shes got that many stories, it will be a pain using floppys"

Although a PC that is 15 years old is unlikely to have a USB interface to support it?

I think the key is how big the files are and what kind of content is in them.

If there are 300 files of 10k each then a few floppies should suffice. If the files are mostly plain text then as per Diodorus Siculus that is the best format for transfer.

Not sure how well Works 2003 will open those file formats, but I suspect Office 2000/2003/XP would be better able to.

mocha 22:28 27 May 07

I would copy over, using a floppy, 5 or 6 stories in Microsoft Works 4 format and see if your Works 2003 can read the files, it should be able to, most are backward compatible. If not go on microsoft office web site and download the relevant converter.

I would copy the files over anyway as a hard drive that has been working for 15 years is hardly likely to last much longer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac