transfer everything to new hard drive

Newuser3605 19:12 24 Dec 04

Hello,
Is it possible to transfer everything from an old hard drive to a newly formatted one using xp pro?
I have tried to copy and paste in My Computer but it stalls on
Cannot copy Pagefile - access is denied.
Any information would be gratefully received as I can then get on with enjoying Christmas.
Thanks.
Al

VoG II 19:15 24 Dec 04

If you mean that you have installed an "old" drive in a new machine to copy the files across then you may need to take ownership of the files click here

Technotiger 19:18 24 Dec 04

Hi, it may be possible, but a lot of the software would not work properly. Better to start your nice new drive from the beginning and do a fresh install of your xp and all other software. It might take longer, but would be well worth it in the long run. Merry Christmas.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 24 Dec 04

XP cannot copy system files that are in use using explorer.

MAxblast3 will copy your C:\drive to where ever you want it.

Maxblast3 click here

cyberphobic 22:58 24 Dec 04

Amother option is this click here it is a free download, you just have to register. I have now used it several times, it is simple and effective, you end up with a mirror image of the original drive on the new drive,complete with operating system.

Newuser3605 23:44 24 Dec 04

Many thanks all for the help provided.
I have downloaded Maxblast3 but there's a bit of food for thought over Technotiger's suggestion.
I will leave my computer alone now until after Christmas and then decide.
I hope you all have a nice time and Santa brings you something nice for being so helpful. Thanks again.
Al

Dorsai 10:49 25 Dec 04

A point worth noting is that the pagefile does not actually need to be copied over. As soon as you fire up the new hdd with XP on it, XP will create a new page file, if it's missing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…