Transfer Emails from Ext Hard Drive to Windows Live Mail

LimestoneRock 12:26 PM 02 Jul 12

I had been trying to restore my hard drive using Acronis Recovery but it failed each of my two backups. I tried each three times but got same response. Acronis had, however, wiped my hard drive and so I had to carry out a Clean install (and am still doing it). Despite the Recovery failure, I can access the folders and files on the backup which is on an external hard drive. This I am doing but it is a very slow process doing the transfers by way of copy/paste. I want to try and retrieve my email data - addresses, files etc (Windows Live Mail) - and get them transferred over to my clean installed PC. I do not know whether this is possible because I am not transferring from one PC to another. Can this be done? I shall very much appreciate any support you able to give. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 PM 02 Jul 12
  LimestoneRock 14:11 PM 02 Jul 12

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\ but that link shows how to export email data - it assumes you have a live PC exporting source. I don't - I just have an external hard drive.

difarn 14:26 PM 02 Jul 12

Have you tried creating a folder on your newly installed pc called "transfer from old pc" or something similar, then highlighting the folders/files that you want to transfer and using the "copy to" and choosing the hard drive of your PC.

There is a way in which you can use copy to or move to from your external hard drive to your PC. Have a look at this article explaining how to do this.

LimestoneRock 15:12 PM 02 Jul 12

It is difficult to identify the folder/files to be exported/transferred from the external hard drive. If it were a PC I could do as you say - ie give instructions to export the files to an empty folder and then Windows/Live Mail takes care of this. But I cannot give instructions to the hard drive(because I cannot open the Live Mail program on the external drive) and I cannot find the relevant files to copy/paste, even if that is possible.

Batch 15:33 PM 02 Jul 12

Your old emails should be stored in:

X:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Where X is the drive letter for the mounted Acronis Image

The link that FruitBat supplied does show how to import if you scroll down the page a bit. Use those instructions and point the Import at the old email files and let it do its thing.

LimestoneRock 15:55 PM 02 Jul 12

I appreciate your help. I've tried X:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail but once I get to Users/AppData the next I get is LocalLow and there is nothing in that file. I have tried it on my actual PC and after Users, a folder comes up showing three files but none of them is Local(not even LocalLow). I am unable to take things further it would seem.

Batch 16:13 PM 02 Jul 12

I just realised that the cut and paste I did of the path didn't work properly. You possibly realised, but if not try the following as a source for the import:

X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

difarn 17:00 PM 02 Jul 12

Perhaps you could try to unhide hidden folders by going to Start - typing in Folder Options - clicking on the view tab and checking the option to do this.

Terry Brown 17:07 PM 02 Jul 12

Why not use a program like RECUVER and specify the drive to want to recover to as the new drive . make a folder called (E.G. RECOVERED FILES).

You can select what types of files you want recovered -music-Video-Documents-email- etc.and do one section at a time.

LimestoneRock 17:24 PM 02 Jul 12

Thanks difarn. I always have "view all files" but on the new install forgot to check. I have now located various files in my External Drive in the folder Windows Mail. None of them carries a clue as to which I need to import but I'll try experimenting & let you know. I will hold fire on trying RECUVER for the time being, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know