Transfer of email folders to new PC

frappy 15:58 11 Oct 03

Having acquired a new PC (Windows XP with Outlook Express)- I have manually put in all my email addresses but wish to transfer the folders. How is this done please.

MichelleC 16:41 11 Oct 03

You can find the location of the folders by searching for *.dbx. This will give you all oe folders and clicking on any one will tell you the location for you to then copy.

BTW you'll have to 'import' via oe as copying via explorer doesn't work.

Kitz E Kat 16:43 11 Oct 03

C:\Documents and settings\frappy\local settings\Application data\identities\(gets mad here)a file with loads of numbers!!\microsoft\Outlook Express\your folders..

Copy these and dump them in the same folder on your new computer...

You may have to enable the 'show all files' option to see the files.. When you open My computer select the Tools item on the tool bar, then Folder Options then the View tab, and check the 'Show hidden files and folders'

Hope this helps

Kitz E Kat

BurrWalnut 17:12 11 Oct 03

If they are just copies of the *.dbx just drag or copy from your existing location.

Firstly, I would recommend you create a folder in the root directory (C:\) and call it My Mail or something similar. Then go into OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance Tab and click Store Folder and change the location to your new folder. This way you don't have to plough your way down the directories to find the mail boxes and it makes it easier to get at when you want to back them up. Close OE and reopen it and they will have moved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…