Transfer Documents from C to D drive

tonyq 11:40 AM 13 Dec 12

I have just bought a Laptop windows 7.I have 2 partitions on the HDD C and D drive. I would like to move the photos music ect from the "C" drive to the "D" drive. I am not sure which folders to move,do I move the "Users" folder or Individual folders music photos ect,and which is the best way to move them.

Chronos the 2nd 12:25 PM 13 Dec 12

Oddly enough I have just finished doing this as I have changed my motherboard. Here are the instructions.

tonyq 12:39 PM 13 Dec 12

Am I ok to move the "Users" folder which contains the others pictures music ect.

Chronos the 2nd 12:59 PM 13 Dec 12

Do not understand your question. Can you explain a little more?

Muergo 13:27 PM 13 Dec 12

Latched onto this question which is very convenient as my "C" drive partitioned into two and first part getting full I wanted to move a big chunk to "D" sector.

Thanks for the link Chronos

wiz-king 13:47 PM 13 Dec 12

Be careful - d drive is often used to store the original 'recovery' files, you might be better to partition the disk to create an 'e' drive and use that.

tonyq 13:56 PM 13 Dec 12

Chronos the 2nd

When I open Windows Explorer and click on "C" drive,the top picture is what I see. The middle picture is when I clicked on Tony (My name). The bottom picture is the contents of Tony folder. So back to the posting you had trouble with. Should I transfer the "Users" folder with all its contents,the Tony folder with its contents,or am I better transferring individual folders as in the bottom picture.Your advice please.

Muergo 13:57 PM 13 Dec 12

Analysis of my "D" drive says it's totally empty.

tonyq 14:03 PM 13 Dec 12

Mine is at the moment!

Chronos the 2nd 14:20 PM 13 Dec 12

What I do is create folders on the drive where I want to move a folder to. Mine are actually already there as I boot from a smallish SSD,(128GB) which only has my OS and programs. everything else is on two 1TB HDD's one of which is purely for games.

On the other hard-drive I have all the individual MY folders Video,Music,Pictures and Documents I then, as in today after upgrading mobo and reinstalling Windows 7 is move the location of the individual MY to the 1TB HDD.

So the shorter answer is change the location of the individual folders rather than Tony.

Woolwell 14:25 PM 13 Dec 12

Some laptops (typically Acer) come with 2 equal partitions C and D and D is often marked data. I would follow Chronus' instructions. The user account will go to C. You may well need to change office settings etc so that it finds the D drive. The alternative is to regularly archive off slightly older documents, photos, etc to the D drive remembering to make back ups of both partitions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11