Transfer from desktop to laptop ?

74elmtree 26 Mar 12

Is there any software that will enable me to move files from a desktop to a laptop. Many thanks.

onthelimit1 26 Mar 12

Depends on the operating system, but Windows Easy Transfer is built-in to W7 and Vista. If Xp, free download of a tool is available from MS. You can transfer with a special cable (about £16), an external hard drive, or over a network.

john bunyan 26 Mar 12

For data files , just copy to a USB HD or DVD then copy back to laptop.

For programme files some programmes such as Adobe CS5 allow you to de-register from one PC then reinstall on a second. Sone, like MS Office 2010 allow 3 pc's. Operating system files usually have to be installed from original CD's.

Woolwell 26 Mar 12

It depends on how many you want to move and whether the desktop and laptop are networked together. Is a permanent move or not?

For a whole system I did it using an external hard drive. Copied all the required data files to the drive and then copied into other computer.

For a small number it depends on whether you want them synced. You could consider using Dropbox.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to set up Apple Music & make sure you don't get charged: Get Apple Music for free

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message