Transfer data from floppy to laptop

tonyx1302 17:50 14 Aug 06

I have a Acer 3633 laptop and I would like to transfer some old saved data on a floppy to the laptop. how do I do this please.

Thanks

Tony

FelixTCat 17:56 14 Aug 06

Breitling,

Presumably, you don't have a floppy drive on the laptop. Do you have another pc that you could network to and that does have a floppy drive? Does a friend or colleague?

Failing that, you can buy a USB 3.5" floppy drive to connect to the Acer, e.g. click here and scroll to the bottom or a couple on this page click here

Regards,

Felix

tonyx1302 18:05 14 Aug 06

Thanks Felix for coming back so quickly. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a F/Drive. I have an old desktop that has a F/Drive but I cannot find how to transfer the info from the floppy to a disc on my desktop so I could then install to the L/top via a disc.

Tony

PS As you may have gathered..you are dealing with the un educated re computers here !!

FelixTCat 18:11 14 Aug 06

Tony,

Don't worry about it!

I presume that you can copy the data from the floppy disks to your old pc? If you aren't sure, tell me what operating system the old pc is running and I'll help.

Does the old pc have a cd writer (not just a cd player, but one that can write to blank disks)?

Does the old pc have a USB slot and do you have a memory card reader (for digital camera memory cards)?

Regards,

Felix

tonyx1302 18:19 14 Aug 06

Hi Felix. Yes I have transferred the info from the floppy onto my old desktop pc and have put it under a icon on the desktop. On my desk pc I run XP Home and it has a cd writer and connects using a usb but does not have a cardreader.

With thanks

Tony

FelixTCat 18:40 14 Aug 06

Tony,

Do you have any blank writable or re-writable cds? You could burn the files to a cd, move the cd to the Acer then copy them from the cd to the Acer.

Blank cds are very cheap and one cd holds as much data as about 400 floppy disks!

Regards,

Felix

Curio 18:53 14 Aug 06

Copy the data to a USB Memory Stick and then on to the Laptop. Keep The Memory Stick handy for later transfers - either way

tonyx1302 19:06 14 Aug 06

Thanks for that Felix. When I click on the icon with the data then click on 'send to' on the drop down menu but it doesn't list 'send to disc'. It only lets me to send to Desktop/Docs/Mail Rec or floppy. Not disc

Thanking you

Tony

FelixTCat 19:25 14 Aug 06

Tony,

XP does have a built-in program for writing to cds, but it's pretty basic. You may find that a cd writing program came with your pc, possibly Nero or Roxio and you may still have the disks.

If you don't have one, a quick Google found click here (free version), or click here for a whole list of them.

Regards,

Felix

woodchip 19:48 14 Aug 06

Get a USB floppy drive. I paid £10 for a sony some time back from ebuyer

tonyx1302 19:52 14 Aug 06

Hi Felix. Really sorry for the delay but have been trying your Google suggestions and will get back asap when I have finished. I found I have Nero on my system but have never used it as it appears that half of it is missing anyway !!!
Will report back shortly.

Thangs again

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5