transfer data

yorkieman 13:20 02 Sep 04

hi can anyone advise me? i have been given a computer which is a lot faster and more uptodate than mine, what i want to know is what is the easy way to format the hard drive on the new computer which is running windows 98 and is it possible to transfer everything from my old computer to the new one i am using windows xp pro.any help in laymans terms pleaseand i would be very gratefull

Type in your browser something like: "format a hard drive in Windows 98" (without the quotes) and search through the many websites that give very detailed instructions. Much more detailed than you will get on any forum. Print the best (clearest) instructions and keep for future use. Have a look at click here
I think the simplest way to transfer a lot of data is by using a "USB Data Link Cable". Search in your browser for: "USB Data Link Cable". Most large computer stores should have them in stock.

mgmcc 14:10 02 Sep 04

It is very easy to format your "C" drive, but are you aware that you will then no longer have an operating system in the PC?

Boot with a Windows 98 "boot floppy" (which you can create in Win98 by going to "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and selecting the Startup Disk tab). At the A:\> prompt type "format c:" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

<<<is it possible to transfer everything from my old computer to the new one>>>

You can transfer your documents - Word docs, Spreadsheets, Pictures, Sounds etc quite easily by, for example, using CD-R/RW disks or by networking the PCs. However, actual programs will have to be installed in the new PC from the original installation files or CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…