Transerring/copying .dbx file into Outlook Express

webber_man 20:13 24 Nov 07

I have a .dbx file that i want to access in Outlook Express. I have copied the file into my OE folder that contains the rest of my .dbx files that have my emails in them, but it doesn't show up when i open up OE.

I thought it would. What do i need to do to get access to the emails within the .dbx file? The file is on my desktop and i am using XP.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

VoG II 20:22 24 Nov 07

Try File > Import > Messages and point OE to the folder containing the .dbx file that you want to access.

beeuuem 21:03 24 Nov 07

Find your message store (Tools > options > maintenance > store folder)
with OE closed delete the 'folders' file in the messsage store.
This will be rebuilt when you open OE and your messages should be displayed in the added folder.

webber_man 21:11 24 Nov 07

Thanks VOG - have tried that but a message pops up saying that an application is open and using the file. Which is isn't as the dbx file is in a folder on my desktop.

VoG II 21:14 24 Nov 07

Perhaps delete the copy that you placed in the OE folder and try again.

webber_man 21:31 24 Nov 07

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

have managed to achieve what i wanted by creating a new identity within OE, copying the dbx file i wanted to access into the OE folder, deleting the folders.dbx file, then re-opening OE.

I did it this way instead of deleting the folders.dbx file in my existing 'identity' in case it caused other issues.

Cheers again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5