Transefering Windows to new HDD

DJ-Garry 17:03 13 Aug 09

Hi guys.

I've just bought a 500Gb HDD to replace the 180Gb drive in my Acer, Vista Home Premium lappy.
I partitioned 1/3 to 2/3 with EASUS and transfering data using xxclone. It seems to have worked but popped up two messages at the end:

The NTLDR file was not found in the source volume

The NTDETECT.COM file was not found in the source volume

Then it said:

If this is the first time for Target Volume, you may need to initialize the boot-control data (See the [Cool Tools > Make Bootable] function) once in order to make it self-bootable

Do I need to heed either of these and what's the extra hidden partition on the C drive? Do I need to make an extra partition and copy it too?

GaT7 17:22 13 Aug 09

Did you make the target drive/partition bootable with the 'Make Bootable' option (under the 'Cool Tools' tab)? G

GaT7 17:23 13 Aug 09

Just realised it's a laptop, so how did you connect the two together during the clone process? G

DJ-Garry 17:27 13 Aug 09

Didn't make it bootable first as it should be copying ALL the system info from the C drive. I shouldn't need to do it after the transfer either should I?

Used a HDD to USB gizmo.

Garry.

GaT7 17:35 13 Aug 09

Well, the disk still requires a MBR, boot sector & boot.ini to be able to boot-up normally like your previous drive. The simple clone you carried out would've copied the boot.ini only.

You'll need to run it again, with all the options ticked in the 'Make Bootable' applet .G

DJ-Garry 17:59 13 Aug 09

Ok,I've run the bit that makes it bootable and it seems ok now :)

What about the other errors?

GaT7 18:02 13 Aug 09

If it seems 'OK now', what other errors are there? G

DJ-Garry 18:10 13 Aug 09

The NTLDR file was not found in the source volume

The NTDETECT.COM file was not found in the source volume

GaT7 18:17 13 Aug 09

So it's not OK then? Make up your mind!

When I suggested to run it with those options ticked, I meant the ENTIRE cloning process of course. Did you do this? G

Zeppelyn 19:15 13 Aug 09

As its a Vista system then you dont need Boot.ini, NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM as these relate only to XP and earlier NT Operating Systems. Have never used the software you refer to so cant help there.

DJ-Garry 20:17 13 Aug 09

Ok, thanks Zeppelyn :)

I'll delete the generated .ini file, install the HDD in the lappy and see if it boots :)

Garry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…