Tranferring software from Drive C to Drive D

chubba 16:10 20 Feb 05

Hi there. I've just added a D Drive which has one gigabyte of space. C Drive is full at 99% and I can't defragment it (no wonder). I would like to tranfer most of my programs to the D Drive but how do I do this without uninstalling from C Drive and installing to D Drive? Isn't there an easier way to transfer between the two? I have tried using the explorer to drag and drop from C drive programs to D Drive but no success with this either. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jeffers22 16:15 20 Feb 05

The best you can do is move your documents if all you have is 1Gb. You can't just move progs without uninstalling and reinstalling to D: They have references to C: in the registry which means after you just move them they will not run.

Diemmess 16:32 20 Feb 05

On the face of it, your total HD capacity seems very marginal...........It would help us to know the total (when blank) capacity of each HD, and also which OS you are using?

Totally-braindead 17:01 20 Feb 05

One gig is tiny are you sure thats what you mean?

chubba 17:17 20 Feb 05

Hi again. Sorry. 1 Gig was incorrect. Just checked and C Drive has 12.11 GB whereas D Drive has 38.28GB. I just transferred six movies to D Drive and that gave me an extra 2.5GB memory free. Have transferred documents too, as well as photos, and soon will transfer music.

I am just wondering though. Would I also have to set up a new o/s in D Drive? I am using Windows XP Professional on C Drive.

Many thanks again,

Jeffers22 17:32 20 Feb 05

No. If you use it as a data store, it will be accessed by the OS on C:

FelixTCat 17:45 20 Feb 05

No, you do't need a second operating system.

You can probaly create a lot more space by:

1. Emptying your Temp folder

2. Reducing your Temporary Internet Files foldr (if you are on broadband, you really don't need it at all

3. Reducing the space allocated to System Restore to, say, 250 MByte

4. Moving the Page File to your new D: drive

Diemmess 17:49 20 Feb 05

I think you are now well on the way to solving the space problem.

At the risk of being tedious - regular use of CClean and deleting all temporary files you no longer need, could well double the space on C:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…