Tranfering Emails from one PC to a new one

Ironside01 10:53 20 Aug 03

I've just bought a new PC but would like to put all my old emails in the same folder system(Outlook Express) on my new PC. My old PC (win98)doesn't have a CD writer but it does have an external zip drive. Can I copy the emails in their folders onto a zip disk and then transfer them to the new machine (win xp.

Ben Avery 11:00 20 Aug 03

In Windows 98 & oulook express the path to your emails is sililar to this:

C:\Windows\Profiles\"YOUR USER NAME"\Application Data\Identities\{"LONG NUMBER/LETTER COMBO"}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
In here will be all of your folders containing your emails.

Simply copy them all, save to Zip and paste into new email location on new PC.

What OS is the new PC and we'll give you the location?

BA

Ben Avery 11:00 20 Aug 03

Misseed the XP bit. Will find out the path for you as I don't have an XP machine handy.

Anyone know off hand?

BA

Ben Avery 11:07 20 Aug 03

similar to Windows 2000? Try this:

C:\Documents and Settings\"YOUR USER NAME"\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{LONG NUMBER LETTER COMBINATION}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
I can't guarantee this is the location though.

Try it!

BA

Ben Avery 11:10 20 Aug 03

RESOLUTION

click here;en-us;313055

BA

pj123 11:18 20 Aug 03

PC Advisor magazine for October 2003 has the answer to a very similar question. Page 152, "How do I archive mail from Outlook Express on a separate disc so that I can retrieve it later?"
Find a copy and read it. Or email me and I will send you the answer.

Ben Avery 11:25 20 Aug 03

Link didn't work, try again!

click here

Ironside01 11:29 20 Aug 03

Thanks Ben and Pj123 for the quick response.

When I look in windows/profiles I only get a folder called administrator and the rest of the thread is nothing like your suggestion. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

pj123 11:44 20 Aug 03

This is from PCA Mag.

Open windows explorer and create a new folder, on your hard drive, or a CDR disc, or we can assume a Zip Disc.

Now open your mail client and select the messages you want to archive. Alternatively, choose a folder and press Ctrl, A to archive everything in it. Drag the messages out of your email program and into the folder you just created in Explorer. Each message becomes either an EML file or an MSG file, depending on your email client. In your email program, press Delete to get rid of the messages or select the folder and delete that. To access an archived message, simply double-click the message file or drag it from the archive folder into a mail folder.

Ben Avery 11:50 20 Aug 03

It may be that you never set up separate users on Windows 98 in which case you can ignore the "Profiles\USER NAME\" bit and go to Windows\Application Data etc etc

Otherwise, follow pj123's advice or do a search for the files by clicking:

"Start", "Find", "Files and Folders Named", then type "*.dbx"

This will locate the files for you.

BA

Ironside01 11:56 20 Aug 03

Thanks Ben

Thats sorted it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac