Tracking Cookies

Ancient Learner 15:30 13 May 06

I am still being bugged by these things. Every day, Ad-Aware finds some which I delete - a number of not important ones, and a few that are Average TAC 3.000.

Yesterday, a new game, Dungeon Siege 2 that I was playing, which is pretty demanding on PCs, suddenly started to slow up and become unstable. When I eventually closed it, I went to Ad-Aware which found 10 of these TAC 3.000. I deleted them and then the game played fine.

Where are they coming from is what I want to know. I had been having some 'fun' with Egg and Smile banks earlier, attempting to use them, trying both my normal Opera, and IE. only to find, when I phoned, that the problems were at their end.

I have a hardware firewall in the shape of a router, Zone Alarm, Nod32, and CounterSpy and everything is bang up to date. And still these damned things come.

This afternoon, after only using Eudora to check my Email, I found that another 2 had appeared.

Very, very odd!

MichelleC 15:35 13 May 06

I'll tag along, if that's ok. I've got router firewall, Kerio, AVG, Spywareblaster, Ewido, True Sword (paid) A2, and I still get the odd virus. Don't ask me how.

SANTOS7 15:35 13 May 06

If you are constantly prompted to remove 3rd party "Tracking Cookies" and/or "Data Miners" after scanning your machine, then your "Layered Protection" is not set up properly! It's simple enough to go thru the Ad-Aware/SpyBot "scan log" and determine which Cookies keep reappearing. Then add these to the "Always Block" option.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:35 13 May 06

Tracking cookies are unimportant and it is highly unlikely that they could interfere with your computer's speed. click here is a great programme to remove these and associated detrius.

G

SANTOS7 15:36 13 May 06

click here
silly me, text taken from link, it may help for future ref.

Ancient Learner 20:10 13 May 06

SANTOS7
Thanks for all that.

Could you tell me where I can find the place to " add these to the "Always Block" option".And where is the "Layered Protection" that is mentioned.

Perhaps this is in the Ad-Watch section which is only avaiable in a paid for version.

GANDALF <|:-)>
Ok, but why did they do what they did yesterday then?

The only thing I can think of is to increase the Cookie control to the next to the top level in IE, as the log appears to suggest that they are there in the IE Cache. Otherwise keep checking and removing them.

Ancient Learner 20:16 13 May 06

Perhaps it would be wise to invest in a paid version such as the Plus edition - just something else running all the time I suppose.
Any comments please.

VoG II 21:02 13 May 06

I don't know why your PC is slowing down but I'm 100% certain that it has nothing to do with cookies. They are simply small data files that record your internet activity. They don't do anything more than that. They are perfectly harmless and there is absolutely no way that they could slow down your machine.

anskyber 21:37 13 May 06

To be honest you can set it up with XP without any other programmes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…