Tracking Cookie - Unable to delete

davidmoore 18:13 08 Jun 08

Ad-Aware has detected a Tracking Cookie which I am unable to delete:-
"index.dat.click here Conversion/pagead/conversion/1055114627/"
I've had many cookies detected in the past, all of which have been deleted successfully. I've tried searching for this Cookie, with a view to using "Killbox" to delete it, but searching has produced no results, including in the Registry.
Can any one advise re how to find the Cookie, or on the possible reasons why it won't delete, and what is it's danger rating please?

mfletch 18:23 08 Jun 08

Try Ccleaner

click here

mfletch

mfletch 18:40 08 Jun 08

Index.dat are files hidden on your computer that contain all of the Web sites that you have ever visited. Every URL, and every Web page is listed there. Not only that but all of the email that has been sent or received through Outlook or Outlook Express is also being logged. The file names and locations depend on what version of Internet Explorer you have. If you are running IE version 4.0 or above, the file name is "index.dat". Microsoft has not supplied an adequate explanation as to what these files are for or why they have been hidden so well.

On Windows Vista Computer, index.dat files are located :

\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat
\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\low\index.dat
\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\Content.IE5\index.dat

On Windows 2000 and Windows XP there are several "index.dat" files in these locations:

\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Cookies\index.dat

\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat

\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012001123120020101\index.dat
\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local
Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012002010720020114\index.dat

\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local
Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

On a Windows 9x computer these files are located in the following locations:
\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
\WINDOWS\History\index.dat
\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\index.dat
\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
\WINDOWS\History\index.dat
\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\index.dat

Index.dat files can be very hard to find. If you are in Windows, even with "Show hidden files and folders" enabled, index.dat files are not visible and cannot be found if you do a search for index.dat files.

Ccleaner will delete them.

davidmoore 19:49 08 Jun 08

Thank you 'mfletch' for your helpful advice. I have found a number of 'index.dat' files, one of which is much larger than the others, so presumably that is the one I need to deal with. Does deleting this data have any effect on the performance of the computer when making future use of the Internet? Or can I safely delete it with the software you have indicated?

mfletch 14:07 09 Jun 08

I have used Ccleaner for ages now and have had no problems with what it removes and have not noticed any difference to the performance of the pc

Many people use Ccleaner and recommend it to others

davidmoore 15:18 09 Jun 08

Thank you 'mfletch' your support is much appreciated. I have since discovered another facility for dealing with index.dat files, the link is:- click here.
Incidentally can you advise how to insert a link like this into a response using the "click here" method please.

davidmoore 15:20 09 Jun 08

Ah! so that's it, please ignore my request for advice re "click here.

User-1229748 16:00 09 Jun 08

'ccleaner' is probably the most used freeware that you will find and 'SpywareBlaster' is another useful bit of freeware that stops the spyware being installed in the first place.Go to 'file hippo' for these.

mfletch 16:36 09 Jun 08

As above I would stick with Ccleaner

agostini 23:29 25 Jan 09

why am i denied access to certain files. IE application data ETC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…