Trace reason for wireless disconnect

TonyW2 11:22 23 Sep 07

I am struggling with my home wireless network connection that disconnects frequently for an unknown reason.

All connection configurations look OK.
(The wireless and internet connections establish on boot up, but the PC to router disconnects for no identifiable cause, although Windows re-establishes it after about a minute by going through the automatic aquiring network address routine etc. A few minutes later it drops again.)

(I have changed transmission channels, moved the antennas for good signal strength and speed, banned the use of microwave oven and do not own a cordless phone!)

Is there any log record accessible to pinpoint the exact cause of the disconnection in detail, as I cannot think of anything else to try?

Using Windows XP SP2, Edimax ADSL+4 Modem/Router, D-Link USB adaptor. (IP lease 3 days)

ambra4 13:55 27 Sep 07

Try these settings on both desktop and laptop

Lan Card Setting

Right click on Wireless Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Other Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

TonyW2 19:38 27 Sep 07

Thanks ambra4 but I already have these settings in place.
I am just looking for any info as to whether there is any log available. The router/modem log seems only to cover the ISP phone to router link, and this is not my problem point.

STREETWORK 18:02 28 Sep 07

You could try

click here

and identify the problem...

TonyW2 11:46 29 Sep 07

We are moving off topic, which was just about whether any log reports, that identify the specific reason for disconnects,are produced.But thanks for the interest in my wider problem.

Thanks streetwork.
Tried your link and it looks a useful program.(I removed all my existing settings and hardware and used it to reset up the complete wireless system, using an administrator account. (It is definately a user friendly way of doing this.) I did not have a chance to see how it diagnoses intermittent connection failure, as (typically) I had a good run with no failures.

However, when I induced a known fault, and changed to a limited user account, the PC kept cycling on "aquiring network address" and failing, although the program interface persisted in showing that I had a connection. As it did not correctly identify this situation, I uninstalled it.

I have already posted on this specific problem (user accounts)and only "resolved" it by giving admin rights to all users. Any additional ideas on that would be welcome, but I suggest using the original topic.

click here

I am sufficiently fed up that I have installed hard wire and will give up on the wireless system. So I will not be able to investigate further, as the router is now in a different area and non-comparable.

Thanks all for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…