TP-Link Archer C9 wireless router installation

cedar palace 17:52 28 Jun 16

I bought a TP-Link Archer C9 router after reading good reviews, when I looked at the instructions to set up a wireless internet connection with my Asus Zenbook my first problem was that the Zenbook does not have a modem port or any other ports except USB and mini display. Is it possible to connect my Asus to the internet through the TP-Link router without the initial wired connections?

Secret-Squirrel 21:06 28 Jun 16

Is it possible to connect my Asus to the internet through the TP-Link router without the initial wired connections?

You'll probably find that the TP-Link's wireless is switched on so you can use WiFi to connect to it and run the Internet setup.

If the TP-Link's default wireless network is unsecured then the last thing to do is to make sure you assign it a strong password. You'll get disconnected but you can always reconnect easily using the password.

cedar palace 23:52 28 Jun 16

Thank you. When I plug the router in to the mains and the phone line plugged in to the 'Internet port', the only LED's showing on are the Power, 2.4G, and 5G. The Internet LED is not lit. On the computer screen the broadband connections available are TP-Link 72FD secured and 72FG_5G secured. When I click on 'connect automatically' they show 'no internet, unsecured'. If I try to connect manually the same thing happens. I cannot access a screen to enter SSID and password.

Secret-Squirrel 08:22 29 Jun 16

Cedar, the Internet LED won't light up until you run the router's setup.

I've had a look at your router's manual and the WiFi access details (SSID, its password, and login) are printed on the back of the router. After connecting you open your web browser, type in tplinkwifi.net, then login in with the default username and password.

When I plug the router ...........and the phone line plugged in to the 'Internet port'

Ah, I hope you don't mean phone line as the Archer C9 is a cable router and doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem.

cedar palace 09:05 29 Jun 16

Secret Squirrel, Thank you for your help. Like they say, a little knowledge is sometimes useless. My son now has a new router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes