tower going off all of the time.

gimmeabreak 19:58 20 Apr 09

Running Windows XP Home.

All going well, and computer goes down. Restarts OK, but displays, " hardware or software problem." Completely stumped.

Audio~~Chip 20:29 20 Apr 09

could be a few reasons, Overheating, infection/s, PSU or Memory error. First is to switch machine off and inspect inside where any fans are, but do not touch out. Unplug the power from the machine, post back what you find

gimmeabreak 13:52 21 Apr 09

Fan and vents all clean and clear. When it starts, all appears normal, but won't actually go on-line on the " Start windows Normal" phase.
Unable to move up the menu to any other offering because cursor disappears, and up/down keyboard keys on keyboard get no response either.

ened 14:19 21 Apr 09

Try plugging in a PS2 Keyboard and see if that works on the first page.

If it does try 'Start Windows with last known good configuration'.

gimmeabreak 18:41 21 Apr 09

Tried a new keyboard, and all was well, but only for an hour or so, and then it goes off, comes back on, goes off. This coincides with the lamps on the keyboard going on and off.Did a 3 day back restore, but now I'm now unable to use the mouse cursor again to move on the start-up menu.!!

DieSse 21:35 21 Apr 09

To disable the automatic shutdown change the recovery settings:

* Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
* Click the Advanced tab.
* Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
* Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
* Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll get a "blue screen" and it won't cause an automatic reboot.

Then make a note of what the actual error is, and let us know.

woodchip 21:38 21 Apr 09

Sounds like windows Problem, but try updating your Graphics card drivers

gimmeabreak 19:29 22 Apr 09

Thanks guys. Problem resolved by a knowledgeable neighbour. No idea what he did, but it's OK now.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac