tower case

winfast 13:13 15 Mar 05

i am thinking of buying a towwer case,most of have one fan for intake second forn exhaust,are they any good or i should buy one with air intake only?

TomJerry 13:43 15 Mar 05

if you really like quiet one

Nexus Breeze Silent Case, Equipped with 350W PSU 120MM Case Fan and Noise Absortion Material click here

harps1h 13:52 15 Mar 05

try the coolermaster stacker. it has a 120mm fan front and back. also an 80mm blow fan at the top. the front fan blows across the hdd. you can also get a crossflow fan which is only used in this case. this blows cool air across the motherboard and ram. it is quiet except when on the highest level.look at it click here

BillEmm 14:19 15 Mar 05

I partly agree with harps1h: the CoolerMaster Stacker is a very good case. Large and expensive. This is because it can be converted to support the promised BTX format motherboards.

It also provides future-proofing which makes it worth considering against the outdated single/double 80mm fans which are totally inadequate for todays hotter 'go faster' components.

harps1h is not quite correct in the expanation of air flow for the top and side fans. They are both extractors - or should be. Installed the wrong way round will defeat the object by creating air vortexes inside the case resulting in the hot air circulating round rather than out.

Bill

TomJerry 14:41 15 Mar 05

we want quiet computing, not a jet engine in the living room

sunny staines 15:00 15 Mar 05

as mentioned go with a btx case, you will need less fans which = less noise. coolmaster & nexus do these

BillEmm 15:44 15 Mar 05

Maybe a bit of research before expressing your opinion might be in order.

Tests with the CoolerMaster Stacker, with seven fans installed, proved to be much quieter than a current ATX case with three fans.

Both cases housed the same components.

The point of these new cases is they can run more, and larger, fans at much lower revs to provide the greater airflow.

Bill

winfast 16:24 15 Mar 05

my question was having intake only or combination better

BillEmm 17:33 15 Mar 05

Combination is better.

Just make sure the exhaust fan is of equal or greater power than the intake unit.

Bill

TomJerry 19:35 15 Mar 05

also I have two people work on quiet project for a few month now.

Any mechchanical spinning components will make noise. Less spinning part and less noise. Big slow fans are better than small fast fans, but they still make noise.

BillEmm 21:00 15 Mar 05

In your research you will have used benchmark values against which to test.

The following are general benchmark values for measuring sound:

less than 22 dB(A)- inaudible to the human ear.

22 to 30 dB(A) considered to be 'quiet' and inaudible in the standard living room, because:

30 dB(A) is the backgroung noise level in the average living room.

38 dB(A) plus - noisy, with jet engine proportions after 42 dB(A).

You made the point about jet engines and I made the point about quiet.

All mechanically made noise is not necessarily audible to the human ear. Fans, for example, rotate at various speeds. At low speeds the sound frequency is very low, and inaudible at the very low end.

At the expense of boring everybody - I think you ought to give the BTX designers some credit for knowing what they are doing when they created PC cases that have lots of fans to keep the latest heat generating components cool and to keep the new PCs quiet.

Apologies to one and all.

Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…