Touchpad problem on Acer Aspire 3690 Laptop

shanklyn 18:10 13 Feb 08

Hi, all of a sudden the touchpad on my Acer Aspire 3690 Laptop has started to act strange. It was fine the evening before and when logged on in the morning, it now seems to be jumping across the screen and sometimes hardly moving at all.

The strange thing is, it was intermittent. Sometimes when you logged it was fine then would go, but now it seems to be permanent. There is no visible damage to the pad itself.Any help appreciated.

Regards

Sea Urchin 18:29 13 Feb 08

Try switching off the Touchpad using Touchpad Toggle Fn + F7 - and then repeat to switch back on. If that doesn't help try turning of the tapping facility. Go to Control Panel > Mouse > Properties > select Device Settings tab > then select "Settings" button - click on Tapping. Uncheck the tickbox to disable tapping - click OK etc.

Sea Urchin 18:30 13 Feb 08

Sorry - "turning of the tapping" should be "turning off".

shanklyn 19:15 13 Feb 08

Seems to have done the trick, thanks very much.

Sea Urchin 21:12 13 Feb 08

Delighted to hear that

shanklyn 21:36 13 Feb 08

Oops sorry, back again. Was fine for a while but then has gone again. Gutted. Really cant figure out whats going on :(

Sea Urchin 22:18 13 Feb 08

Was it the turning off of the tapping that seemed to work before? I have found in the past that it does not always "stick" first time, and sets itself back to "enable tapping". But for some reason I found that repeating the exercise two or three times seemed eventually to convince it to stay put. Not very "logical" I'm afraid, but maybe worth a try. Acer suggested to me that if it didn't work I might have to restore to factory settings - something I wanted to avoid doing.

shanklyn 23:16 13 Feb 08

Thanks for your help much appreciated. I have been advised elsewhere to download the new drivers from the Acer website. I have done but am a little unsure of how to install them. I have been advised how to uninstall though.

The strange thing I have noticed is that around the time the problems started a web cam which has been used many times before is not being recognised :(

shanklyn 23:46 13 Feb 08

Does anyone think that doing a system restore to a previous date on xp will help ?

shanklyn 12:44 14 Feb 08

I have downloaded the new drivers from acer but am unsure of how to install, please any help ?

thanks

oawalker 13:32 29 Jul 09

For almoost 2 years my acer touch pad has stoped working so i bought a new laptop but when i pressed Fn + F7 it worked Perfectly fine. for almost 2 years i have been using a mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos