Touch typing tutors- recommends please.

Chris the Ancient 15:20 31 Oct 10

I am a dyed in the wool biblical typist (seek and ye shall find!) of very many years experience. I now have a little more time becoming available coz I am nearing the end of a couple of serious projects, and I thought it was time to type properly (even at my advanced age) to fill some of the day.

I have read the review of Keyboard Pro in PCA'a review section click here and it looks good. I especially like the thoughts that one is getting the hang of it in six hours (though probably multiply that by a large factor for somebody of my age who has managed with up to four fingers - shared between two hands) whilst studiously studying the keyboard instead of the screen.

Has anyone used Keyboard Pro - and is it worth £34.95? (I suppose that makes for excellent motivation!)

I have also looked in Google to see what's available for free. There are one or two ;-)

Has anyone got a really thorough recommendation on a free one? In my eyes, click here looks good... but things always look better in the shop window.

Any *practical* experience thoughts would be welcome. Yes, I am well aware that my speed will go down for a while but hopefully, speed and (especially accuracy) will build up with time. I saw that some years ago where I had a team of engineers who were being lined up to demonstrate a new line in computer-controlled test equipment and we thought it would look far more professional if they typed properly. It took time - but we got there.

TIA

CtA

jimv7 15:44 31 Oct 10

click here for mavis beacon

Chris the Ancient 16:11 31 Oct 10

Had a look at that link, thanks.

Have you used it... successfully?

Will bear it in mind and add it to (what I hope will be the list.

Chris the Ancient 16:12 31 Oct 10

See, I told you I was a rubbish typist! Forgot the closing parenthesis.

GaT7 17:27 31 Oct 10

What OS are you using? I have Typing Tutor 10 (disc only) click here, which you can have for free. Or, would that not be a good enough incentive?

It speaks to you & plays music too as you type & learn. It works fine in XP by the way. G

GaT7 17:36 31 Oct 10

Another commercial one that looks good is TypingMaster Pro for $29.99 (~£20): click here & click here. G

GaT7 17:46 31 Oct 10

Many more free ones: click here. G

Chris the Ancient 17:56 31 Oct 10

Many thanks for that offer. I'm going to hang on a little longer for any other feedback and more research (in the morning, probably) and then see.

Interesting link that, it threw up some that I didn't see on Google! But, at the moment (more research tomorrow) that Sourceforge looks fairly top of the list for freebies.

I shall also look at some of the free trials.

Looks like little of my project getting done in the morning.

But, keep the ideas coming in, folks.

octal 20:23 31 Oct 10

I can touch type and thoroughly recommend it, it's much more restful on the eyes, plus less mistakes because you are looking at the screen.

I think the only two tips I can give is to start with your fore fingers on the F and J keys and the rest of your fingers on the home keys, then next is to practice, practice and more practice.

It will take some time, but stick at it and it will come and you'll wonder why you ever used the hunt and peck method.

I'm not particularly fast, probably about 30wpm but that doesn't matter as I'm getting quicker all the time, even the wife notices it.

Have a look at this site which helped me click here

Chris the Ancient 20:34 31 Oct 10

Hi octal.

I did sort of half notice that site when I browsed on Google, and had that one in mind for further investigation in the morning.

However, a recommend makes me feel that I will look deeper into it.

If I can get to a reasonable 30 wpm, I will be very happy, it will be faster than I can write the good old-fashioned way with my fountain pen (a rare breed these days!)

Thanks for that lead.

chub_tor 21:34 31 Oct 10

I am a great fan of Mavis Beacon, about 10 years ago I bought one of the earlier versions for around £10 and over a period of 6 months or so taught myself to touch type and it was the best thing that I ever did. I followed all the tests - and some of the games are fun - right up to the time where numbers and symbols were involved. I never did get the hang of those so yes I do look at the keyboard for numbers and such things as the £ and () signs but all my typing is now done purely by touch and I have found that switching from a regular laptop keyboard to a small netbook keyboard only takes a small adjustment. My preference on my main PC is for the Microsoft Natural keyboard and later versions of Mavis have templates that allow you to do that. My versions of Mavis Beacon have been passed onto to two sisters-in-law and they have both successfully become touch typists, it will take time and practise to become proficient (I maintain a steady 30/40wpm) but it is a very worth while investment. ps I am now 72 years old so age is no barrier to learning to touch type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…