Touch Screen PC's - pitfalls?

compumac 15:35 PM 07 May 11

My daughter's laptop will need replacing in the very near future and as it used only generally in one place, a desktop is more suitable excepting for space. I wonder as to the suitability/practicality of a touch screen and obviating the need for a tower? What are the pitfalls? Can they be readily accessed for replacement parts, hard disc, DVD drive etc?

woodchip 16:33 PM 07 May 11

Just my view, as its your daughter you do not say her age. But just saying she is young still at school, I would go for normal Desktop not touch screen. you are more likely to have problems. and a mini tower or one of those that run on a Atom CPU may be enough. You can get Board for these in Maplins that create small form factor pc. or something like this, But it does need a external DVD drive about £32.

PS would be no good for gaming link text

compumac 16:45 PM 07 May 11

Daughter very much an adult, left school some twenty five plus years ago.. No room for tower and that is why she is using laptop as opposed to conventional desktop.

bremner 16:47 PM 07 May 11

HP offer All in One machines with or without touch screens.

My son has a touchscreen one but rarely uses the touchscreen, preferring a mouse.

Pitfalls? Dirty screen, get a good cloth and cleaning fluid (apple iclean expensive but very good). Upgrading hard drive and memory fairly straightforward anything else much more difficult.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 PM 07 May 11

All in one is basically a laptop on its side with separate keyboard and just like a laptop they are not readily upgradeable as everything is crammed in.

morddwyd 19:40 PM 07 May 11

I use a touchscreen laptop all the time.

Dirty screen? Well, I did run a dry duster over mine once, and it's eighteen months old. However, a female might feel the need to do this a bit more often (that's not sexist, it's an opinion!).

woodchip 21:08 PM 07 May 11

Think about them Nails on the screen, not going to do it much good

compumac 22:33 PM 07 May 11

My interest was purely one of space, but thinking about it, a replacement laptop might be the better option.

bremner 23:41 PM 07 May 11

How anyone can use a touchscreen and not leave greasy fingerprints behind I find astonishing.

Is it that the user has the cleanest fingers in he world or the poorest eyesight? ;o)

morddwyd 07:50 AM 08 May 11

In my case the latter!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…