totally gutted at MS attitude

madPentium 19:32 13 Dec 03

I bought one of the first xbox consoles in the UK for over £400. now the dvd has completely gone and I called MS to see where I can get a replacement. About 4 months ago (being a pc engineer) I opened her up and cleaned the laser lens which lasted til now. I have been trying to obtain a replacement dvd for the last 4 months with no luck. Now MS have told me I have to throw the console away because I have opened it. I have made it a risk?? and they do not ship out spare parts, they and only they will repair it, except in my case cause the sticker has been damaged. I told him its a standard replacement part like in a pc, but he said its MS rules. Im sure not many people realise this. I can easily get a replacement dvd for the ps2 and fit it, Im not listed as a risk. I told them they are money grabbing hypocrytes but I warn anyone, dont open your xbox because it means it has to be thrown away. Im totally disgusted and thought there may at least be some law here to defend me.

spikeychris 19:41 13 Dec 03

Don't do Xbox but was there a sticker over the access panel?

LastChip 19:51 13 Dec 03

click here

Any good??

soy 19:52 13 Dec 03

Didn't the sticker have any warning on it to say that the warranty would be void if you opened the case?

You can get a replacement Lens for £48.99 from here click here if you really want to fix it yourself.

madPentium 20:21 13 Dec 03

yes the sticker said warranty void, but my xbox is 18 months old now. What it didnt say is if you remove the cover you are stuffed regards
spare parts.

madPentium 20:26 13 Dec 03

thanks for the links. I have emailed the first link to see if they can supply a replacement. I will let you know. I dont want to just replace the lens, those drives are a nightmare to strip down to get the laser out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…