Totally dead

jhm 13:44 17 Sep 04

Have acquired a PC that has XP Pro installed, thats all I know. On switch on the PS and CPU fans turn but absolutely nothing else. No beeps so guess no POST, nothing on monitor. Am I right in saying that POST is started in BIOS. Is they any thing I can do to kick this thing into life if BIOS is corrupt

Caså 13:48 17 Sep 04

First I would reset bios,battery out & clear.Go from there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:50 17 Sep 04

NO BEEPS maybe no case speaker?

Check

1. memory sticks fully seated
2. graphics card fully seated
3. HDD cables secure both ends and right way round

jhm 14:12 17 Sep 04

Already checked spker and memory stick, on board graphics. How do I reset BIOS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 17 Sep 04

Some MOBOs have a jumper to clear BIOS, not Knowing your board then remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds and refit and reboot

jhm 14:22 17 Sep 04

Thanks for start will get back

Diemmess 16:36 17 Sep 04

Just a slim chance, because black screen and halted system if video card loose, dead, or missing.

That usually gives ample warning beeps, but if the case speaker is disconnected from the motherboard..........

jhm 21:12 17 Sep 04

THanks for tip, but on board graphics

Diemmess 08:50 18 Sep 04

If the onboard car has failed, you might just succeed using a cheap "spare" card plugged in.

It is a bit "catch 22" because you will have to disable the onboard card in the BIOS --- and first get into the BIOS!! ............. That's where the luck will come if it somehow seeks whatever is working!

jhm 15:01 26 Sep 04

Just for your info - it was the CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…