Totally blank ME windows screen on startup??

Nig 11:09 02 Sep 03

Hi there
I have an AMD 800 running ME. On start up it has lost all its screen icons and program bar. Just a pale blue windows background and a moveable mouse cursor. It very briefly shows a minimised Explorer bar in the lower left corner on startup. Using ctrl/alt/del to pull up the close program menu shows nothing running at all. It will however autodetect a new monitor and goes through the add new hardware dialogs, then back to a plain blue screen. (This is not a Blue screen of death). Reinstalling windows makes no differance. Any ideas would be very gratefully received.
Thanks Nigel
[email protected]

-pops- 11:16 02 Sep 03

"Reinstalling windows makes no differance."

Are you re-installing on top of the old version?

If you have nothing of importance on the disk, try a clean re-install after fdisk and reformat. If you do have anything of importance there, I think you have a problem.

Do you have a backup?

-pops- 11:17 02 Sep 03

Note: it is best not to publish your email address on the forum. People can contact you if they wish by clicking the envelope beside your name

alcudia 11:33 02 Sep 03

Have you just added a new monitor? Or is redecting one already there.

Nig 12:14 02 Sep 03

The reinstall of windows is on top of the original, using setup /d. The monitor was simply a differant monitor at another location, so that responce was correct. I want to get the original installation up and running if possible, as I have no dos based program to back up the last weeks work. (there are a lot of directories to do using dos alone).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…