Totally baffled with wireless network

la_star16 13:09 05 Aug 07

Hey everyone, ok i just bought a wireless router (Cable&Wireless lan adsl router to be precise) and when i connect it to my cable modem i can pick up the internet wirelessly on my laptop. Theres no problem there, but how do i connect up my nintendo wii to the wireless system? When i go through the process on the wii it finds the network, but then it comes up an error and it cant connect. Any ideas anyone, as its driving me up the wall?

Oh and i am a complete novice so i would appreciate idiotproof answers please lol!

Cheers in advance, LA

mgmcc 15:27 05 Aug 07

<<< i just bought a wireless router (Cable&Wireless lan adsl router to be precise) and when i connect it to my cable modem >>>

You *CANNOT* use a combined "Router & ADSL Modem" with Cable broadband.

You need a stand-alone "Cable/DSL" router with an ethernet WAN port that connects directly with the Cable Modem's ethernet port.

ambra4 12:15 06 Aug 07

Check this site

click here

la_star16 20:54 06 Aug 07

I wondered about the whole cable/adsl thing but when i got the internet on my computer i figured it would work.

I did exactly as that site suggested ambra, thanks anyway though =]. Maybe this router isnt compatible with the wii....i couldnt find it in the list.

Me thinks il have to buy a new router......

ambra4 12:11 07 Aug 07

Check out these sites, you not the only one with the same problems

click here

ambra4 12:13 07 Aug 07

Check this out first

click here

Fawaz 08:57 09 Aug 07

If it has a wireless signal than it's probably compatable with the Wii. What kind of security have you got. I have mine on WEP, because I'm not sure how advanced my Wii's security settings are (can it use WPA, i can't remember).

mgmcc 11:14 09 Aug 07

Until the original poster installs a proper Cable/DSL Router, it won't be possible for more than one device at a time to get online via the Cable modem.

A "kludge" can be used to connect an "ADSL Modem/Router" using its LAN ports, but it will only function as a wired Network Switch or a Wireless Access Point. It won't *route* internet traffic to multiple 'clients'.

la_star16 17:51 09 Aug 07

Thanks for everyones help on this, like i say im a complete muppet when it comes to computer stuff. Il make sure the next router i get is a cable one =]. I might be back if i cant figure it out though lol.

LA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now