Total update of Word 97?

moritania 22:06 04 Apr 09

Firstly - I am an impoverished computer beginner and only use laptop for pleasure. I use Windows 2000 XP Pro but only have Microsoft Office 97/98. The only programmes I need are Word and Publisher, to write letters and poetry (to which I add graphics). I don't need any other programmes or spreadsheets, etc. Word 97 allows me to do both well and I have never had a problem with it.

Problem is that I use Secunia PSI as security alert - which notifies me that my Word 97 is a strong security risk and is no longer either updatable or patchable as neither updates or patches are available from Microsoft for it. Other than Word my computer is strongly secure.

Considering I can't afford to upgrade to the latest Office - and even if I could I only want a very small section of it - Is there any way I can update Word 97 totally so that it can remain in use without me having to download the whole of say Openoffice.org?

Sea Urchin 22:45 04 Apr 09

The last update for Word 97 was in November 2003 - so no further updates are or will be available. It is updated as "totally" as it can be.

Bearing in mind that you have run it happily like that for over five years, and as long as your general security is good as you suggest, then I don't think you have too much to worry about.

From what you say you don't even use the Internet that much.

moritania 23:02 04 Apr 09

Thanks Sea Urchin

I do however use the Internet quite a lot - mainly to do background research, etc for writing features

Sea Urchin 23:28 04 Apr 09

I would download a program called Spywareblaster from click here which will greatly help to protect you from malware, and as long as you have good anti-virus protection and firewall and common sense browsing you should be fine.

I can't imagine that you are suddenly at vastly greater risk than you have been for the last five years.

moritania 23:32 04 Apr 09

Thanks again Sea Urchin

UK Sub 23:48 04 Apr 09

I must agree with Sea Urchin. I wouldn't upgrade either if you are happy with your set up.

Upgrading doesn't make you immune from viruses anyway. There is always some exploit or other in the latest software.

I have Office 2003 (must admit I have no idea if Microsoft still patch that version).

iscanut 10:30 05 Apr 09

Why not ditch MS 2007 and use Open Office instead.
click here

It is free, good for home use and fully compatible with Microsoft Office files.

moritania 16:40 05 Apr 09

Thanks to everyone for advice and opinions. I've put SpyewareBlaster on and SuperAntispy Free Edition.

Thanks also Iscanut for recommendation for Open Office. I had taken a look at that earlier but fell into trap of going to wrong site where a charge was made! Then I discovered the true entirely FREE Openoffice.org site and have successfully downloaded. So I feel much safer now.

Thanks again - it's nice to liaise with decent friendly folk - makes the world a nicer place!

Sea Urchin 16:42 05 Apr 09

Glad to hear you feel happier now - I wish you safe browsing in the future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac