Total Format + Clean Install

The Griffman 13:30 16 Dec 03

I want to go about totally formatting my hard drive, so there's no partitions e.t.c. My current OS is Windows XP pro. From the format I want to install windows 98 SE.

How do I go about doing this?

MAJ 13:33 16 Dec 03

What partitions do you have on the drive at the moment, The Griffman?

The Griffman 13:35 16 Dec 03

There is currently one partition with windows xp pro loaded onto it, and there is an un-partition area with 8MB of data on it. I want to format the whole lot.

xania 13:39 16 Dec 03

Make sure you have a bootable (start-up) floppy. Use FDISK to delete all existing partitions and then set up your entire HD as a single partition.

NB You may have problems with larger partitions if using SE - I think the max is 8GB, so you might want to reconsider your partition plan.

Once complete, close FDISK and format each partition you have created. Now re-boot using your setup floppy. This will allow you to install a CD driver and will report back to you the drive letter of your CD drive. This is important to remember.

Now insert your Windows install CD, and, at the a: prompt type

<your CD drive letter>\Setup and follwo the on-screen prompts.

Jester2K II 13:40 16 Dec 03

I had a 60 Gb partition under Win98SE just fine...

The Griffman 13:40 16 Dec 03

How do I go about creating a boot disk with windows Xp pro?

xania 13:55 16 Dec 03

Sorry - my concept's right - detail wrong. The problem only arises at 127 GB. click here.

I have also just found this site for downloading boot disks. click here

MAJ 14:03 16 Dec 03

You shouldn't need an XP bootdisk, download a Win98SE bootdisk from click here, The Griffman. Make sure your computer is set to boot from a floppy disk. Restart the computer with the floppy disk inserted. Choose the option to Start without CD-ROM support. At the A:\> prompt, type "fdisk" (without the quotes), delete the partitions. Then create a new Primary Dos partition using all the space on the drive, Exit fdisk by pressing Esc and install your Win 98 OS.
Details:click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…