Toshiba's thin red line

Jim Thing 21:48 12 Aug 07

My son has a Toshiba Qosmio G10 laptop which is about four years old. It has recently developed a display fault in the form of a very fine (single-pixel?) continuous vertical line that runs from top to bottom of the screen about 1/2" in from the L/H side. Against any background other than white this line is red, but against a white background it is blue.

Is this likely to be due to a corrupted driver or could it be a problem with the screen itself?

My son tells me that the graphics chipset is NVidia Geforce FX but I can't check this myself because he lives overseas.

All advice gratefully received.
TIA
Jim

User-312386 22:02 12 Aug 07

Install belarc click here and this will tell you what graphics chipset you do have

Jim Thing 22:05 12 Aug 07

Thanks. I'll pass that your link along to him.

Jim Thing 22:08 12 Aug 07

Delete "that"

woodchip 22:11 12 Aug 07

Think you need a new laptop, not worth mending. it will cost more than a cheap new one to fix

Jim Thing 22:18 12 Aug 07

Oh dear. My son will be really pleased to hear that. The thing cost him around $4000 only four years ago.

Are you saying that in your opinion it's definitely not a driver problem?

woodchip 22:30 12 Aug 07

if it's graphics, you need a new motherboard fitting. or you will need a new screen ether way i don't think it's worth mending prices that they now are

Jim Thing 22:32 12 Aug 07

Noted. Many thanks, woodchip.

Jim Thing 12:42 13 Aug 07

but I'll leave this thread open for a while in the hope that someone may suggest something that's a bit more encouraging and doesn't involve ditching most of a perfectly good laptop.

Perhaps my son should learn to live with his thin red line but backup frequently, just in case the line is the first sign of a more serious problem to come.

Thanks again
Jim

User-312386 15:10 13 Aug 07

It could be just the chipset/graphics driver has gone haywire, install belarc and advise what chipset he has please

hereford456 15:22 13 Aug 07

Are you US based?
If your in the UK i could suggest you look through MicroMart in most good newsagents.
Plenty of adverts for those that mend broken screens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced