Toshiba U300 Laptop -'No Audio Output Device is Installed'

onthelimit1 12:06 25 Mar 15

Was given this Vista laptop to look at for a number of problems including no audio. In Device Manage there was no entry For Sound,video and game controllers. Downloaded the driver from Realtek and device was recognized and sound working.

Took it back to owner, booted it up and 'no audio output device is installed! Brought it home, booted up, all working OK!!

Because of some other problems, installed Windows 7 instead. All working including the sound. Switched off and booted up - 'no audio outpu....'. Once again, no entry under sound in DevMan.

I'm assuming there is a problem with the sound chip, but does anyone have any other line of attack before I give in?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 25 Mar 15

Try

My Computer - click system settings - advanced settings -hardware tab

click device installation settings - select "Yes,do this automatically" - click save settings.

Daisy_Michael 13:18 25 Mar 15

If you've an HDMI cable connected to the PC, windows will automatically set the HDMI as the default playback device; let me know if this is right in your case!

onthelimit1 13:52 25 Mar 15

FB - thanks. Al;ready set to auto

DM - thanks. No cables attached.

onthelimit1 09:35 28 Mar 15

Decided to strip it down as the fan was a bit noisy. Discovered that this laptop has a separate audio card connected by a ribbon cable. Remade the connections when I was reassembling it and it's been fine ever since!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…