Toshiba Tecra 550 CDT - scrambled

Memoryman 17:03 17 May 06

I've just been given a Toshiba Tecra 550 CDT, which was working fine on Win 98, until its previous owner attempted an upgrade to Windows XP. (probably not very wise given its specification!) At power up, it now gives the choice of Windows 98 or Windows XP, however neither works. It just reports lots of missing files, says that Windows cannot load, and goes back to the C: prompt. Any help or suggestions on how to get it back to Win 98 would be appreciated, I have a Win 98 CD. But the computer doesn't have a floppy drive, which I think was an external option. If it was, it's now missing alas. So that may limit recovery possibilities. Also I have no documentation or drivers, so even if recovery to Win 98 is achieved I imagine that drivers for the display and the "green button" tracker are needed?
Many thanks for your help, even though it's a pretty old laptop it IS a laptop!! I'd find it very useful when on the move, and the battery seems to be fine. Is there any documentation online anywhere? Had a pretty good look but only found specification sheets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…