Toshiba Satellite s1800-254 will not connect to internet

Inara68 21:15 23 Jul 13

Hi everyone, I desperately need some help with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. It was given to me because my old one has all but given up the ghost. I have done several things already to try and get it to connect but nothing works. I know it's an old model (it's not even listed on the Toshiba website any more!) but it's in really good condition. I have contacted my ISP (Sky) for tech support and they were pretty much useless - tried a few things, made a few suggestions and said they would call me back, they didn't! I am not tech-minded at all, so any and all (detailed) help would be very much appreciated.

It's a Toshiba Satellite s1800-254 (model no: PS181E-0E4V1-EN) running Windows XP Professional. It recognises the ethernet port as enabled and working properly but it will not connect. Whenever I try to connect, I get the 'Cannot Find Server' message. I have checked to see if 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS address automatically' are both selected - they are.

The ethernet itself is Intel 8255x-based Fast Ethernet and the Advanced Properties (if they are useful???) are:

802.1pQoS Packet Tagging - Disabled Coalesce Buffers - 8 Link Speed & Duplex - Auto Detect Locally Administered Address - Not Present Receive Buffers - 48 Respond to Flow Control - Disabled Smart Power Down - Enabled Transmit Control Blocks - 32

I don't know what any of the above mean or whether they are even useful?!

If any other information is required, please let me know (along with details on how to find the info! :)) As i said, any and all help will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

rdave13 21:54 23 Jul 13

I don't know much about Toshiba laptops but you should have the ability to connect to your router wirelessly if the ethernet connection isn't working.

Try getting the 'Connect to' in the start menu first, click here. Check the wi-fi switch is on. This could be a physical switch on the side or top of the laptop or having to press the FN key and another key. Have a look at the top row keys icon on the keyboard if you can't see a physical switch.

Once you get the wi-fi switch on then use the 'Connect to' link in the start menu and follow the instructions. This is assuming you've enabled wireless with your router.

Inara68 22:12 23 Jul 13

Thank you rdave - I will investigate the laptop and try this. I'll post the results either way. Thanks again.

Inara68 18:43 26 Jul 13

Hi rdave, I checked the laptop for wi-fi connection (physical and otherwise) but apparently it is so old that it doesn't have wi-fi!! Any other suggestions? Anyone??

alanrwood 19:00 26 Jul 13

What version of Windows are you using. What is your ethernet cable from your laptop connected to, a router or a modem.

Open a cmd prompt and enter ipconfig and press enter. What does the response say. It should list some IP addresses. Tell us what it says.

alanrwood 19:02 26 Jul 13

PS you are using a wired connection from your computer are you not. If using a wireless connection please let us know so we don't go off on a tangent.

rdave13 19:10 26 Jul 13

Gordon Bennet it's this one? Lol. On a serious note try internet options again, connections, umm..,lan settings and check the proxy server isn't ticked. Try repairing the stack, manual method for XP.

rdave13 19:16 26 Jul 13

After rebooting flush DNS. Reboot again for good measure. See how it goes. Hopefully your NIC drivers are ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…