Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 loose USB ports

songbird72884 13:19 22 May 08

I'm having problems with my USB ports being extremely loose, to the point that I have had to buy a USB hub to connect to one socket so that I can position the plug in one spot so that it stays connected. If anything that's connected moves around in the socket, it will disconnect.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 and I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the USB ports in any way without having to do a full system restore or losing all my data. The reason for this is that when I last took the laptop in for repairs (to have the hard drive replaced), the system disk was lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jack 14:19 22 May 08

Replacing the hard drive with a new one - will remove all that was one the machine previously - it will depend on the state of the failed disk and the competence of the repairer where or not data can be transferred one to the other.

In the case of the USB ports The items are metal shells that are hard soldered and/or sometimes clipped to the mother board.
Changing the hard drive should not have affected this- because it is a simple- 'plug-in job in its own compartment on most 'Toshies'
So it looks like it will have to go back.

songbird72884 14:30 22 May 08

Sorry, what I meant was that the reason for not having a rescue disk is that it was lost when I took the laptop in for the hard drive replacement.

The USB problem itself has been there for quite some time, since before I took it into the shop, it's just that it was the shop I took it to for the HD replacement that actually lost the disk, hence not wanting to have to do anything that involves a total reformat/ reinstallation of windows. As far as I can tell, the shop didn't do anything that affected the USB performance.

Would it be possible to replace the ports themselves/ the motherboard, without having to reinstall windows? I'm just worried about it because although I'm okay on the technical side of actually installing or replacing things, I've never been totally sure what impact motherboard replacement has on the system itself.

jack 20:10 22 May 08

And its installation will cost almost as much as replacing the machine in total.
Lappies are a different kettle of fish from desktops when it comes to repair.
All you have to do is take it into the shop and ask.

Coming back to the disk business I am not clear what your problem appears to be can you be more descriptive here?

songbird72884 20:28 22 May 08

To be honest, it's just something I thought I'd best mention in case replacing the USB ports required reinstalling windows. If I do need to reinstall windows, it'll mean having to make a new rescue disk (CD) because the shop lost the old one. That's why I'm worried about having to reinstall windows.

Would it be best to just replace the laptop itself? I'm looking into getting a new one, but I'm worried about it because I've heard so many stories about Vista being rubbish and all the new systems seem to have it. I know in the end I'll have to get a new laptop anyway because of the fact that the one I have is getting slow and a bit small for my needs (I'm hoping to start doign design and I'll need something that can cope with more applications open) but I'm trying to save up for it so I dunno whether to replace the ports and hope that'll be the last thing needed until I have enough saved up for a new laptop or whether to just live with it as best I can.

jack 14:11 23 May 08

A new motherboard will mean a 'Reload' it goes with the territory- the old system[disk] will 'think' it is new a new computer which it is.
Check the repairer and see if they are prepared to do anything with regard the missing disk - chances are they will not - It should not have been with the computer when they had it in first time around.

Do you check ing about MoBo repair or replacement
Chancres are a new Machine will be the best bet- for around the same money of a repair you will get a more advanced machine.
Then take the old disk out of the scrap machine and mount into a Caddy to be come an external drive.

jonathanm1978 06:24 18 Jul 08

We are talking about a simple metal-surrounded port here, not a integrated chip replacement requiring a heat gun and hours of microchip sync and pin-hole alignment. Come on jack, a simple answer like,
"use a small screwdriver and tighten the metal lips around the inside of the jack" would have sufficed. Going into all that jabber about reinstalling or reloading the whole OS just because a usb port is loose...just confuses everyone.

The only thing that happens, unless your abruptly abusive to your usb ports while a device is plugged, is the tin works loose from the plugging/unplugging with usb ports. After a while, then tin prongs move outward and causes the device to become loosened in place. By moving these small "lips" back down toward the center of the jack, the grip on the device will become more secure. Since most of the connections are made with copper traces, they dont just wear down, so a MOTHERBOARD REPLACEMENT????? is not necessary. i cannot believe someone would suggest that because the usb port is loose. Dont go spend a few hundred bucks on a new motherboard just because your usb port is slightly loose. Thats like buying a new car because the brakes wear down. Even an AC jack repair shouldnt cost someone over 150-200 bucks, its nothing that major, and even a new ac jack costs nothing over $15.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant