toshiba satellite pro 400cs bios - protected?

greybeard 18:15 09 Dec 06

Trying to install a graphics tablet into the above laptop running 98se, there have been numerous problems.
These have ended with the disappearance of the cd drive from the system !
I want to get into the bios to see whats the situation there, but the usual keys during start up dont work.
Can anyone please tell me the correct key(s), or is it protected in some way.
I've been to a german site which seems to be about dongles to get in, but unfortunately I cant read german, so I'm not sure.

John

greybeard 21:16 09 Dec 06

My last chance to save this laptop for our use is some info on the above problem.
The present circumstance is that because the bios doesn't seem to be recognising the cd drive, without being able to get into it I cant make the necessary alterations. I've got the start up disc I've produced from another 98se system in the house, but without the bios finding the drive I'm stuffed.
Vicious circle really.

Any help ?

John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:33 09 Dec 06

F1 for Toshibas normally.

try click here

Ashrich 21:41 09 Dec 06

This is what I found from a web site , 1. Power up computer from off condition with ESC key depressed. Unit will display "Check system. Then press (F1) key"
2. Release the ESC key, press the F1 key. This will put the unit into the BIOS setup screen. see if it works for you , that is if the machine hasn't been passworded by someone else of course , if it has you will need a password remover dongle , they can be bought on the web from Uk , even on eBay .

Ashley

greybeard 21:59 09 Dec 06

Hi fruitbat. I've tried F1 with no go, but your threw up ctrl-del which is a new one to me so I'll give that a go when I go back and check all the standard one(+ others !)in case I missed one.

Ashley, I'll try that as well, but I think the Esc key, like all the others, is ignored, and win98se ploughs on starting up as if I didn't exist. Most frustrating.
Re passwording, although I couldn't be sure, I assumed from the German link I looked at that the dongle gets around something the Toshiba themselves instal as a protection. I presume some idea of protecting the jobs of their own trained repair men. Seems to be built into a printer port plug - I wonder whats in it - just wire links perhaps, or a chip ?

John

greybeard 22:01 09 Dec 06

edit ...."your link threw up"

Ashrich 22:04 09 Dec 06

It says press the esc key BEFORE switching the laptop on , that throws up a display of " check system " like it has an error , then press F1 , release the ESC key and continue tapping F1 , remember to press ESC first before booting .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:06 09 Dec 06

When I say " press " I mean to keep it pressed in before and during the boot sequence .....

Ashley

greybeard 22:24 09 Dec 06

Thanks for the update. I'll let you know the result.
John

greybeard 22:28 09 Dec 06

No progress so far, I'm afraid.
John

greybeard 22:35 09 Dec 06

I've just been through my early postings and found I made the same request for this info about the same problem over 2 years ago.
Somehow I managed to install the os without finding out the answer !
I wonder how I did it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…