toshiba satellite A30 - graphics memory

mrpeel 14:11 01 Feb 06

Hi, i own a toshiba satellite A30 notebook. I have 512 MB of RAM, 32 of which is currently assigned to the integrated graphics chip. The maximum memory the graphics chip can have is 64MB but I do not know how to change it.

I have looked in the BIOS but there is no UMA setting or anything else concerning the memory.

I have also looked in the display properties and settings as it was suggested I change the frame buffer setting, but this setting does not exist on my laptop.

Any help? thankyou

ade.h 15:39 01 Feb 06

How do you know that the graphics chip cn be given upto 64MB? The laptop manual?

Depending on the chip and the board, not mention how the manufacturer wanted to configure it, some graphics chip RAM allocations can only be assigned at the factory. Thus rendering them unchangeable by the end user.

mrpeel 15:58 01 Feb 06

I know the graphics can have 64MB because in the adapter tab of display properties setings it says memory size 64MB.

Also in the intel graphics system info it says minimum graphics memory 32MB, maximum graphics memory 64MB.

So I reckon the graphics can have 64MB, but I'm not sure if I can change it or not

ade.h 16:20 01 Feb 06

Thanks for the response. I wasn't questioning whether it could have upto 64MB, you understand, but I wanted to find out where your info had come from. My thoughts being that if it was user adjustable, the laptop manual ought to say so and tell you how to do it. It would be more likely to be a BIOS setting, rather than a Display Properties setting.

mrpeel 16:37 01 Feb 06

I've looked in the BIOS but there's nothing in there i can change concerning memory for the graphics.

I guess it must just be the factory setting and can't be changed.

Thanks for your help anyway :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced