Toshiba PDR-2300 Camera Won't Install On Win98SE

Jester2K 13:55 19 Feb 04

Friend bought a Toshiba PDR-2300 Camera 3 months ago.

He says it took two hours to get the PC to recognise the camera. Last week it stopped recognising it again. Took me 10 minutes to fix.

Now its stooped again. 2 hours later still stuck.

USB drivers are fine. All other USB devices work fine.

Camera drivers installed.

When you plug the camera in the camera shows its in "PC" mode. The PC recognises there is new hardware and then says its found and "unknown device".

No matter how i try and show it the drivers on the CD or in a folder with updated drivers from Toshiba it won't recognise these are the correct drivers. Drivers have been installed and uninstalled countless times.

Owner is going to check the camera on another PC but is there anything i can do? I suspect the PC.

Oh and i swapped the camera cable to another USB port and it worked fine for 30 seconds until i switched the camera off and then it won't find it again when switched on again...

PA28 14:26 19 Feb 04

Hiya Jester2K! Firstly (and I shouldn't be asking you this question, but I will in case others have the same problem) are you sure that your friend has 98SE rather than vanilla -sometimes a problem with USB - 98. You could try another USB port.

If so, you'll have checked the normal (install the drivers with the camera off, then connect, etc), so suggest that you cut the corners and suggest that he invests a few bob in a SD card reader rather than trying to get the camera to work. If course, if it's his USB port all the time...........

ton 15:28 19 Feb 04

As above,click here for a card reader.

Jester2K 16:09 19 Feb 04

Not sure if its a Win98SE or Win98 version - think its SE.

I did try the other USB port - that when it worked once. Until i switched the camera off...

Card Reader might be the way to go....

Sheila-214876 17:17 19 Feb 04

Card reader, I agree is the best and easiest way. I bought an 7 in 1 card reader from ebuyer for £6.95 plus postage. Takes all camera cards and can be permanently connected. Oops, just checked ebuyer and looks like it is now £9.39 plus postage. Still better than a friend who bought one locally for £18. click here

Sheila-214876 17:19 19 Feb 04

Sorry, the link didn't quite get to the right page. Type "card reader" into the search box.

jnevill 11:41 25 Apr 04

Same camera - different problem. When I try to 'copy to card' I get 'memory error' any advise?

anchor 15:15 25 Apr 04

I seems that many cameras have persistent problems being recognised directly via the USB. I had no end of difficulty with 2 Fuji`s I had. (Fuji even had a web page dedicated to the problem). A card reader was the answer.

However, I would recommend a card reader for the Secure Digital card used by this camera.

From 7dayshop, it would cost £5.99 + £1.95 p/p.

click here

last item on the page.

ps: Certainly Win-98SE or higher is important.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…