Toshiba NB200 boot problem (Windows XP)

JMHM 17:46 09 Jan 11

Hello
I have a Toshiba NB200 notebook with Windows XP. When I switched it on it wouldn't boot past the first screen and I couldn't get to safe mode with F8. The first screen lets me enter BIOS set-up and that's all (via F2 and F12). I then created a USB drive to boot from and this got me to a MSDOS C prompt having first changed the BIOS to read the USB drive first and also updated the BIOS (Phoenix v1.6). I am unclear as to what should I do next as the c: prompt does not let me run windows and just shows the files on the USB stick. Should I copy windows files to the USB? Also, how do I know if the harddrive has failed and is unrecoverable (hopefully not)? Any guidance welcome!
thanks
JMHM

stormrider123 23:12 11 Jan 11

Are you gettin any type of error mesages

JMHM 09:40 12 Jan 11

No error messages, just a flashing cursor. The BIOS recognises the Hard Drive.
thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:10 12 Jan 11

"The BIOS recognises the Hard Drive"

Thats good news means the drive electronics are good and maybe all you have is a corrupted MBR.

You need some hard drive repair or recovery tools on a bootable USB click here

Once you have the above try running fixmbr to repair the drive.

JMHM 18:09 17 Jan 11

Thanks Fruit Bat. I managed to boot by using a better bootable USB (Ultimate Boot CD) and also I used Kaspersky USB antivirus (both free). I was then able to boot XP by selecting "boot from next device" on UBCD. All seems to be working now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…