toshiba laptop won't boot up black screen of death

jojocadden 15:19 09 Oct 09

Help! I left my toshiba l300 satelite laptop running while I watched a tv programme and when I returned to it there was a black DOS type screen up - I turned it off and then tried to reboot - but all I got aftern the main toshiba screen is this black screen of death thing which says 'No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key' being a fool I never got round to creating a recovery disk - I have had this laptop for about 2 months - and am at my wits end I do not know what to do - have been reading and reading stuff online but I'm afraid I'm getting a bit blinded by all the science and geekery. I tried pressing f8 and selecting 'reepair my computer' and also 'last known good configuration' all to no avail. When I try to start up in safe mode it gets as far as a MS Corp progress bar thing but freezes - eventually returning to the black screen. I'm desperate to get this fixed as I'm starting an Open University course soon and need my own machine.

In my manual there is an option to retore the factory state which I may try as a last resort - but what will happen to the office 07 software I installed and also what do I do abpit the McAfee security i downloaded online? willi have to purchased these again?

Sorry for the long post but I am at my wits end with all this.

BRYNIT 15:50 09 Oct 09

You could try Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express free from click here you will need to burn it to a CD/DVD. Boot from disk if the hard drive is ok it may be able to repair the problem.

morddwyd 20:07 09 Oct 09

Don't wish to be the bearer of bad tidings, but my Tosh went the same way and it turned out to be terminal (new motherboard).

£369 + labour + VAT to repair.

I put that towards getting a new laptop.

It appears some Toshibas are prone to this, which surprised me, since I always thought they were the benchmark for laptops.

lotvic 00:34 10 Oct 09

You say "I have had this laptop for about 2 months"

Sounds like Hardware Failure.
Take it back to the shop for refund or replacement.

ronalddonald 07:34 10 Oct 09

gone three toshs latops in the past and frankly there are the useless laptops around

tullie 08:26 10 Oct 09

Why have you had three if you think they are useless?I have two,and am very happy with them.

jojocadden 11:17 10 Oct 09

Thanks for the input people, currently limbering up for a return to retailer situation - hope I get some satisfaction - have a feeling this is gonna be a saga of replacements that go wrong a vicious circle of hassle.

Can anyone shed a light on why this would have happened - or is it just a case of, as Blackadder once said 'Oh God Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more' ?

Also what happens to the McAfee stuff I paid to upgrade to? and can I just put in my Office 2007 disk into any replacement machine I get or would it count as one of the 3 pcs I can load it on?

SB23 17:00 10 Oct 09

My one son's tosh laptop (8 weeks old) has just had a new hd, (under guarantee), and the second son's tosh laptop just stopped with the black screen, but thankfully I have been able to restore with the backup discs I created, which I must be honest surprised me a little because exact same fault, but 2 completely different fixes.
I will add now that both are fixed, both are back up to speed, so to speak, and running fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos