Toshiba laptop query

bowman 13:05 27 Jan 03

I've just purchased a Toshiba Satellite 1100 laptop with Windows XP Home Edition pre-installed.

This will be my first real contact with a laptop and Win XP, so I'm on a small learning curve. I thought I would dive in and see what XP has to offer? While looking in Device manager I noticed that I had three default monitors installed. My eyesight is not to bad, but even I could tell this was not quite true.

So I decided to remove two of the monitors and re-boot, on returing to Device manager there were again three monitors showing. The query is therefore 'why' are there three monitors showing? I now 'If it aint broke don't fix it' but this is a question of curiosity rather than a fix it question.

The laptop works great and I'm more than happy with it but, curiosity has got the better of me. I know I could contact the supplier but I thought this forum would be the best first port of call.

Hope you can help.........

This may seem a trival question to some people, but it takes allsorts to make a world and where would we all be if we did not ask questions.

Thank you all for reading this post and any help you can give........bowman

DieSse 13:10 27 Jan 03

What are the three listed monitors?

Laptops can often have a regular monitor plugged in - perhaps this is one of them?

bowman 13:23 27 Jan 03

Thanks for the quick reply, the three monitors are listed as 'Default' there is a option to connect to a seperate monitor on the back of the laptop. I did think this may be the reason, but then why would I have 'three'

bowman 20:17 28 Jan 03

Well I have found the answer to my little question, and it is that the graphics card in the laptop is capable of displaying on three different types of screen: 1.Television 2. Digital LCD 3.CRT Monitor.

Going by the website the ATI Mobile Radeon installs default settings for the three monitors, allowing you to watch a DVD on the TV and work on the laptop simultaneously or play powerpoint presentaions on a crt monitor.

Thats the basic explanation anyway and thinking about it makes sense....

On closer examination I found the S-Video socket, giving me the three types of monitors. Well I've learnt two things, and the second lesson is to do more research on the individual components of the pc/laptop before buying. Not that I wasn't happy with what I bought, in a way I've gained.

Just to say 'thank you' to all who read this thread but a big 'thanks' to DieSse for his reply....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…