Toshiba Laptop hard drive problem.

Kemson 07:41 01 Jan 08

I acquired a Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop which isn't working.When turned on it shows "Operating System not found." The Bios doesn't detect the hard drive.
Using the original recovery disk I can get it to boot
to the recovery utility, but whatever I try it returns "No disk drives were detected".
When I leave the recovery it goes into Dos mode, defaulting to x:\> (I assume this is Toshiba cd drive) I can then go to c:\>.. Doing a directory search it shows
"Volume in drive C is MS-RAMDRIVE
Directory of C:\
COMMAND.COM AUTOEXEC.BAT CONFIG.SYS RECOVERY.BAT
[DOS] [TOOLS] [BMP] SPAN.BMP
Does anyone have any idea where I start????

Diemmess 09:22 01 Jan 08

I think you are right and that the MS-RAMDRIVE is a virtual drive taking its instructions from the CD.

To my mind this is the result of a truly failed hard drive, unless there is a failed connection which is unlikely since laptops don't have the space for disturbed plugs and cables.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Kemson 10:28 01 Jan 08

Thanks for the reply......I think it's time to find a new one

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 01 Jan 08

If you are lucky a simple rmove and refit of he drive(to remake the connections) may work, otherwis you will need a new laptop drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…