Toshiba Laptop Flicker (Major!!)

SDJ 19:39 21 Oct 04

Just brought laptop home, put it on table, booted up whilst I started dinner, turned around to see the screen flicker as though there was interference.

It wasnt plugged into the mains at all.
Worked about five minutes ago before I got home.

The whole screen moves up and down, I get black shapes all over, seems to get better if i push screen all way back but then starts again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 20:15 21 Oct 04

What happens in safe-mode?

SDJ 20:25 21 Oct 04

it happens during boot as well.
It seems to have calmed down a little but I cant tell if it is still doing it or if its my eyes!!

The weird thing is, we had a power cut, it wasnt plugged in so I dont think that had anything to do with it. But I wonder if maybe the house earth isnt what it should be. Again maybe nothing to do with it but its one hell of a coincidence!

It really seems like interference, as I tried to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers and various re-boots.

Could it be static? as I say its getting better, the worst thing is isnt mine and I want to make sure when it gets back to its owner it doesnt startup again cos a £1200 laptop isnt in my budget right now!!

Mr Mistoffelees 20:35 21 Oct 04

Seems to me that it could be a problem with the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard. The connector may be loose or the cable maybe damaged.

SDJ 20:59 21 Oct 04

I think if that is the case, it can go back to shop as its only three months old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…