Toshiba Laptop - Buying Advice Please

Whaty 08:01 13 Mar 06

I'm thinking of buying a laptop to replace my aging PC. I don't neen cutting edge but I would like a good, solid, reliable all-rounder.

My local PC World are selling the Toshiba Qosmio F20-137 for £999.97 (the RRP is £1600+ on Toshiba's website..?)and it seems to be what I want. The specs are very similar to - but better than - the £899 Evesham in PCA's top 10 reviews. Over the Evesham the Toshiba has a great screen, 80Gb hard drive and 1Gb RAM.

I guess my questions are:

Is the Toshiba Qosmio a good, solid, reliable PC?

Is £999 a good price for this laptop?

Are there any better alternatives?

Any comments and/or advice would be gratefully received..

Thanks,

Terry

Diodorus Siculus 08:20 13 Mar 06

Toshibas are good, reliable machines and the price seems pretty good too.

You might get cheaper but I'm not sure about better. With care, Toshibas can go on for years.

Andsome 08:48 13 Mar 06

I bought my daughter a Toshiba laptop, a cheaper model than that one. It has been reliable and has served her well. Dabs.com were considerably cheaper than anywhere else, have a look on there.

anskyber 08:58 13 Mar 06

My only computer is a three year old Toshiba laptop which so far has not missed a beat.

dms05 09:37 13 Mar 06

I've used Toshiba laptops for years and they have never failed, just grown old and underspecified. You don't need to spend a Grand either. I have just replaced a 4 year old Toshiba with an Acer 1.8GHz 64 bit AMD processor + 100GB HDD + 1GB RAM and Widescreen for £570+VAT click here and it is very very nice. They even do a warranty extension to 3 years for about £50 through click here.

Dellman 10:13 13 Mar 06

Dell are doing some good deals...!!

Whaty 13:03 13 Mar 06

Thank you for all your replies.

dms05:
I have been looking at one of the Acer models, think it is the Aspire 5512WLMi (or similar), I've seen that advertised for £710. Not sure what it is but something is making me hold back on the Acer, perhaps because I've not actually seen the machine?

Dellman:
I've looked at Dell but I can't seem to configure what I want for the money?

I've also been recommended the HP Pavillion Zd8000 (no idea how much it is though..), does anyone have any comments on this machine?

Thanks again to all those who have replied.

Terry

dms05 13:21 13 Mar 06

Acer are the worlds largest manufacturer of laptops. The quality of my Acer compared to my Toshiba's is very good. Nothing to worry about there. They seem to offer extremely good vlaue for money. You can have an Acer Centrino for well under £500 incl VAT click here

dms05 13:24 13 Mar 06

Anyone recommend a 'free' DVD plug-in got WMP 10? Following the MS links take me to pay for options.

dms05 13:26 13 Mar 06

Sorry, just posted the above here by mistake!

dms05 13:32 13 Mar 06

Whaty - it doesn't include a monitor but you can buy a Fujitsu-Siemens desktop for £199 incl VAT click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…