Toshiba Laptop 98, USB floppy not recognised

Pelham123 11:17 31 Jan 06

I recently was given a Toshiba 7020CT laptop running Win98. It came with a USB floppy drive, but not much else.

It has 1 USB port, no internal CD or floppy drives, although it does have a 'dedicated' floppy connection port, but I wasn't given the original external drive.

The USB floppy powers on at startup but remains dead afterwards (it does work as I've tried it on another PC). All I want to do is transfer a driver to the Laptop so I can use a USB FlashDrive to transfer some files. Unless anyone can suggest an alternative way to do this, can anyone help with the USB drive?
Thanks!

rmcqua 12:47 31 Jan 06

Does the USB floppy work with another PC?
Do other USB devices work with the laptop's USB port?
If you can determine this, it will narrow down the possibilities a bit.

Pelham123 15:41 31 Jan 06

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the floppy does work with my desktop PC and a USB mouse works fine in the laptop port.

In reference to the USB FlashDrive(EasyDisk), after reading numerous Googles, it seems that my USB Flash will never work with the early 98 OS. So I'm thinking this post is kindof redundant now as I was only going to use the floppy to load the drivers...

Unless you know of a way of connecting a laptop to a desktop (without using hardware) to share files, I'll probably mark this post as resolved and buy an external CD drive.

Thanks!

Flying Teddy 16:12 31 Jan 06

Or not..

As far as I can recall, you need to upgrade to W98SE to get USB support. Not sure where you can get this now... Try Ebay?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…