Toshiba Equim P300 + flash drives

Paul-230483 08:49 07 Feb 11

I have a Toshiba Equim P300-16T running windows vista home premium 32 bit It has 4 usb ports which work with a mouse or printer. When I plug any usb flash drive into the usb port it says do you want to format the drive. All the flash drives work in any other machines. any size 512 mb 1 gig 2 gig they all work in other machines but not this Toshiba laptop. I have upgraded the bios to V4.20 the latest from Toshibas website. If I format the drive on this laptop it says cant complet the format I am at a loss to know what is causing this.

northumbria61 11:55 07 Feb 11

What you should do is backup all of the files from your flash drive and then format it. Once you format it, you can copy the files back on -it should then work. You could also run scan disk on the drive. Also If your drive keeps asking to be formatted, just click no.

Paul-230483 12:05 07 Feb 11

hi northumbria61

It wont let me complete the format on the drive but all these drives work on other computers they dont need to be formatted. If I put a brand new flashdrive in the computer says it needs to be formatted but this is the fault.

How do I get the machine to see the drive I have also downloaded and updated the chipset software.Also the bios as stated pre.

northumbria61 15:58 07 Feb 11

From what you say, it sounds like some type of configuration error in your computer and not the USB flash drive itself (since it works on other machines).

Try this to see if it helps: Right click My computer, select properties, click hardware tab, then the device manager button. Scroll down to "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and make sure they don't have either a red X or a yellow ! by them.

If it is a red X you just need to double click on that item and select "enable device" and that should take care of the problem. If it is the yellow ! it means that the driver is incorrect and you should select the option to upgrade the driver.

Paul-230483 18:29 07 Feb 11

Thanks for your help I have alraedy deleted all the usb ports and asked the machine to re detect them There are no red or yellow question marks by any of the ports

This seems a very silly fault and i am sure there must be a fix. all usb ports are working fine If you plug in an external mouse or printer no problem.. I think maybe the machine cant assign a drive letter maybe i will look at that C equals hard drive D equals cd drive maybe the flash drive is not allocated a letter.

Thanks for your input
Paul

northumbria61 20:23 07 Feb 11

See here about assigning a drive letter click here - scroll down to read "Tips & Warnings" first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 07 Feb 11

Ghost device conflicts are the mostly cause especially for devices that are connected and disconnected regularly i.e. pen drives, external drives, mp3 devices and phones.

Remove all USB devices

click here

Download and run

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Paul-230483 18:15 10 Feb 11

I tried setting the device with a drive letter for example X

It still asked me to format the drive It said the drive was formatted RAW?

I could only make it work in this laptop by formatting it NTFS not FAT or FAT 32

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced