Toshiba cannot find wireless in range

paieye 07:51 03 Jun 08

Router is Netgear\DG834GT. MacBook and IBM ThinkPad both work perfectly with it, whether via ethernet or W/s. However, this Toshiba Portege 4000 works only via ethernet. All my network-adapters are shown in Device Mgr as working. I have no red Xs or yellow ?s or !s. The w/s switch at the front of the PC is at On.

Here is what I get from IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : portege
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based Fast Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-8A-51-9A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 June 2008 17:27:12
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 June 2008 17:27:12

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-24-96-56

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-7A-00-A4-7D

Although it says 'Media disconnected' above Toshiba Wireless, Device Manager shows that the device is enabled.

Can anyone help ?

Taff™ 11:11 03 Jun 08

Try opening Network Connections and disable the wireless adapter the re-enable it. Disable the Ethernet Adapter and remove the cable. Switch off the PC. Reboot the router and then reboot the PC. Any change?

Ashrich 16:28 03 Jun 08

Something not quite right there , in the first paragraph , node type should say either mixed or hybrid , not Unknown ...Media disconnected just means it isn't connected to the wireless network and therefore doesn't get an IP address .

What OS are you using on the Toshiba , and what type of wireless security do you have set on the router ?
What is the full spec of the Portege 4000 as well , processor , memory etc.?

Ashley

Ashrich 22:56 03 Jun 08

While waiting for your answer to my question , can you also tell me what the internal wireless module speed is ( 11b , 54g etc. )

Ashley

paieye 07:47 04 Jun 08

My apology for delay -- more network trouble (see below). Taff, I have tried that, but in vain. Artrich, I am using XP Home, and w/s security is not enabled. Here is the specification:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PORTEGE
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model P4000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~747 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA Version 2.00, 11/07/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINXP
System Directory C:\WINXP\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name PORTEGE\Suzanne Swallow
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 128.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 15.39 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 297.13 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

This morning -- not for 1st time -- I have a good connexion with this MacBook, but cannot reach Internet. I therefore choose from the list of connexions available in this large building another connexion created experimentally a year or so ago and never used, and am online with that.

Thank you both for your interest !

paieye 07:51 04 Jun 08

Oh, dear, another apology: Ashrich, I am sorry about mangling your name. I am not sure where to look for the module-speed...

Ashrich 22:43 04 Jun 08

Ok , your laptop , unless it has been changed at sometime has an 802.11b wireless card that works at just 11 mb/s , so it is quite a slow one , they can't handle any encryption stronger than WEP , there weren't the drivers for it to do that , although I see that you have no encryption set at the moment . Check that the router is allowing 11b and not just 54g in the wireless settings , and if the Mac is also having trouble in getting online maybe a full reset of the router and the ISP settings put back in might not go amiss .

Ashley

paieye 12:40 05 Jun 08

[quote] Check that the router is allowing 11b and not just 54g in the wireless settings [/quote]

When I went to Wireless Settings, all that I could find resembling that was a choice between "b & g" and other settings, so I chose "b & g,", that being the existing setting.

Is there something else that I ought to have done ?

Ashrich 18:06 05 Jun 08

Do you use Windows to manage the wireless connection , or are you using a Toshiba supplied utility ? How are you trying to make it connect , when it scans for networks does it see any ?

Sorry for all the questions , it is easier to do these things really quickly when one is there , but slow when trying to help remotely !!

Ashley

paieye 20:53 05 Jun 08

I use Windows to manage the wireless-connexion, and it finds not a single wireless network.

I am grateful to you for taking so much interest.

Ashrich 23:00 06 Jun 08

I forgot to ask , does your router actually broadcast the SSID ( the router's name ) ? You can check , again in the wireless section , to see if the box to display it is checked . Do you see other wireless networks when scanning for them from the MacBook ?

Ashley .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…