Toshiba A100 Satellite CD/DVD drive problem

mickmuk 00:51 08 Dec 07

I have a Toshiba A100 Satellite psaa9a-118038 notebook. When I put a CD or DVD into the drive the disk spins up and in many cases it causes the computer to freeze. The only way to get out of this 'locked problem' is to hold the off/on power button to close the computer then restart again.
I have taken the notebook into Toshiba for repair 3 times, the CD has been replaced.
A problem CD that was copied on their computers then the copy run on mine does boot up and runs without problems.
The tech at toshiba suggested my problems could be related to having installed the software for my Lexmark printers, and this has caused my problems. He suggested that the CD rom had picked up some code the then prevented other cds beinag able to load.
Has anybody come across this problem before and can you help with a solution. Because this problem has been going on for a number of months I feel like dropping my Toshiba from a high building and never buying another Toshiba, but I may damage the pavement!

skidzy 09:23 08 Dec 07

I dont see why Lexmark software could be the cause,however have you tried uninstalling the Lexmark software and run ccleaner click here and reboot,then try your cd/dvd drive again.

Couple of things to try;

Uninstall the drive in Device Manager and reboot,let windows find and install the drive again.

Check the drive is set to DMA and not PIO,reset tool click here

Reset the drive with this tool from Doug Knox click here

Finally look for and remove any upper and lower filters,

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

A few things to try out,if no joy post back.

mickmuk 12:10 08 Dec 07

skidzy you are a legend! Thanks

I followed the steps you set out except the deleting the Lexmark software, like you I felt that this was an unlikely candidate for the problem or there would have been many articles about this on the net, if there had been a conflict as the Tech suggested.
The two reset tools did the job, whereas the uninstall in device manager did not.
The upper/lower filters although I went through as directed were not options, so just Xed out.
Two of the CDs that were causing me problems booted up without any problem, I now have a smile on the dial and the Toshie is safely lowered to ground gentlely.
Once again thanks for your help

skidzy 13:13 08 Dec 07

mickmuk,amazing really that the simple steps i have posted were not carried out by the repair team.
You mentioned 3 times in for repair,sometimes a visit here at PCA is all that is needed.

Well at least the pavement does not need repairing Lol.

All the best Mick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced